Approach to Fatigue Best Practice, 2020, Dukes et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Put this in the psychosocial sub-forum as the authors seem pretty clueless.
    Pubmed, (that gives the abstract above), http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/33246515
    Paywall, (that gives less of the abstract above), https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S002571252030119X

Woolie, Lidia, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The authors are all from this department:

Internal Medicine Department, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 825 Fairfax Avenue, Suite 565, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA. Electronic address: dukesjc@evms.edu.

Perhaps someone could point them in the direction of the CDC recommendations for CFS which don't include exercise, and tell them what SEID stands for, and it's criteria, which is not just about fatigue.

EzzieD, Woolie, Lidia and 10 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect they know all about the loss of approval of GET - which is why they say 'individualised exercise therapy'. It improbably a red flag relevant to the NICE draft. Individualisation is a weasel word.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, BrightCandle and 21 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bolding mine.

If I might correct you there -
    "...... or is sometimes assumed to be a primary condition as the cause is unknown. There is no evidence that it is a primary condition."

Mij, Mithriel, Simbindi and 7 others like this.
  5. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooof. That's just sad. Imagine the confusion of using SEID (somehow suggesting it HAS replaced the terms ME and CFS) and actually advising for GET, even though the IOM report is the only piece of literature describing SEID and it obviously does not advise exercise as it literally invalidated the evidence base that promotes this model. Reading comprehension is hard.

Papers like this are oddly good for my mental health. My life is temporarily pointless, I literally do nothing all day every day, just trying to make it to the next day. And yet I still accomplish more than these people, because although I do nothing, at least I do not make the world worse from it. This is just a race to the bottom, down to the pits of intellectual emptiness so total it puts intergalactic voids to shame.

7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He trained at the St. George's Medical School in Grenada, in the Caribbean. It is a for-profit medical school.

8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

all higher education is run for profit . the education business is staggering with multi billion pound profits yearly as for quality control of the products sold i doubt it is policed in any significant manner.

9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

My understanding of the US system is that all Universities, including the private ones, have to maintain the legal status of being a not-for-profit organisation, but of course there are still advantages to drawing in as much money as possible. They use the profits to expand, or they plough it back into the institution in ways that are benefical to the faculty.

I might be wrong about all of them. But this is certainly the way hospitals work in the US.

Obviously, in the UK, western Europe, Canada and Australasia, most Universities are public and receive government funding, but this doesn't mean they can't turn a profit, although again that profit must be invested back into the organisation. The downside is that they can also incur a loss. They are still responsible for balancing their own accounts at the end of the day.

All the Universities where I have friends - and that includes Europe, the UK and the antipodes - will making a net loss this year. There's a massive crisis in the sector, which has been hit hard by Covid. We are one of the least hard hit, but there will still be job losses at my institution.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    adambeyoncelowe and alktipping like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD and Andy like this.