Are cooling mats, vests and jackets any good?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do really badly indoors in the hot weather. Dr Google tells me that this may be due to dysautonomia, and I wonder if it's therefore a common thing for PwME.

My sister told me that you can get cooling mats and cooling jackets for dogs and I see you can also get them for people!

Has anyone had any success? I don't want another miserable summer. I already close all the windows and internal shutters on a hot day and have a north-facing room to retreat to but even that often isn't enough.

2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have a cooling mat (meant for dogs) and it does help. However, what helps me the most is the Dyson Cool tower fan I bought last year. Love it to bits :inlove:

DokaGirl, bobbler, Sasha and 3 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Similarly I’ve got a meaco air circulator fan which isn’t silent but is barely audible and is very effective.

I also use physio gel packs that I freeze and wrap in a scarf to use against my core or back of head/neck. Usually at night to help sleep under normal warm summer conditions. but when we had the hottest ever day last year I had 2 going during the day as well one I was using another refreezing so I could swap over for a fresh one every couple of hours

ahimsa, DokaGirl, alktipping and 4 others like this.