Are there any effective treatments?

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Hip, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Split thread

Er,... Valcyte, Valtrex, Ampligen, oxymatrine, tenofovir, low-dose naltrexone, GcMAF, Pridgen protocol (for fibromyalgia).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    kendonoghue, Inara, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And if you had made this list half a year ago Rituximab would have been on the list. There is absolutely not enough evidence at this moment to conclude that any of these provide an effective treatment of ME/CFS.

Louie41, Cheshire, Milo and 9 others like this.
  3. Hip

True, but that does not imply patients are not benefiting from these treatments.

Formal evidence is not there because even when promising ME/CFS treatments are developed, nobody bothers to take it further and perform a large-scale clinical trial.

For example, Martin Lerner's blinded randomized placebo-controlled trial treating 27 Epstein-Barr ME/CFS patients with Valtrex culminated in improvements over placebo at 6 months. That study was published in 2007, but nobody has performed a replication study in the intervening decade.

Rituximab is still being used as an ME/CFS treatment in Norway by the way; although we know the response rate is low and the risks of serious adverse effects seem significant.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are patients in Norway made aware of the risks before being treated?

Louie41 likes this.
  5. Hip

I don't know. We know in Whitney Dafoe and Olaf Bodden there was a significant worsening of ME/CFS, so that's one adverse outcome that can occur.

Inara and Louie41 like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But is it just speculation as to the apparent cause? Coincidences and all that?

Louie41 likes this.
  7. Hip

I don't know the exact circumstances, and I think timing of events is important in allocating cause: if these patients were stable for many years in their ME/CFS, and then right after the infusions became severely worse, that would suggest a causal relationship.

Inara, Louie41 and Barry like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

We struck a technical glitch that prevented people posting to this thread when it was located in the 'Treatments' subforum.

The thread has been moved to the Treatments>Rituximab sub-subforum while we get an appropriate sub-subforum heading arranged.

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.

Louie41 likes this.