Article - A solution to psychology’s reproducibility problem just failed its first test May 2019 ScienceMag

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 24, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ucibility-problem-just-failed-its-first-test?

2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And the reviewers did not notice this!

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, what are these sought after badges?

Sounds to me like gold stars kids get in school. We never get past this liking for points it seems. Kind of like "Likes" on this forum!

I wonder if researchers who hide or omit findings, think of the ramifications of their work. How it may skew public health policy for instance.

4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think the reviewers are unlikely to check against the registered plan unless specifically asked. Reviewers are unpaid and it is part of the overall academic workload so will often be a light weight process unless something feels wrong (but that can just be a rejection).

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, of course it is. But if it's just a suggestion without consequences then of course it's not going to happen.

Like do no harm, if nothing enforces it, then it's just a slogan.

Force it to happen, with consequences, and it will be done. People will be pissed because now they'll have to actually try to respect the scientific method but the consequences so far have been disastrous, with most of them, like what is happening to us, mostly out of sight.

[​IMG]