Article : Covid: The London bus trip that saved maybe a million lives

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Arnie Pye, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting article on how doctors made the decisions they did on how to treat Covid.

Link : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56508369

I liked the last paragraph in particular :

I have never understood why trials took so long. Based on this article it seems there was no particular reason for it other than "This is the way we've always done it."

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, I think that there will be many reasons why certain trials take, seemingly, a long time to be done, while there will be many reasons why certain trials can be done in, seemingly, a short time. It will often depend on what checks and balances are deemed appropriate for the particular trial at the particular time, as well as how much funding a trial has. A trial of treatments for a global pandemic will get special treatment for understandable reasons, which makes for an unfair comparison - the article doesn't mention how many other trials were, most likely, delayed due to the fast tracking of this one.

alktipping, Michelle, lycaena and 5 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like fawning hype to me. If these guys on the bus realised on March 9th that there was going to be a huge epidemic then why did they not make sure the government did something sensible about it and stop it. It could have been stopped completely on March 9th - as the Australasian countries showed. There there would have been no need to do a clever trial on tens of thousands of dying people.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
    alktipping, Michelle, lycaena and 6 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps they tried, but were not listened to.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
    alktipping and Hutan like this.