Assessing fatigue and sleep in chronic diseases using physiological signals from wearables: A pilot study 2022 Antikainen et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Problems with fatigue and sleep are highly prevalent in patients with chronic diseases and often rated among the most disabling symptoms, impairing their activities of daily living and the health-related quality of life (HRQoL). Currently, they are evaluated primarily via Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs), which can suffer from recall biases and have limited sensitivity to temporal variations. Objective measurements from wearable sensors allow to reliably quantify disease state, changes in the HRQoL, and evaluate therapeutic outcomes.

This work investigates the feasibility of capturing continuous physiological signals from an electrocardiography-based wearable device for remote monitoring of fatigue and sleep and quantifies the relationship of objective digital measures to self-reported fatigue and sleep disturbances. 136 individuals were followed for a total of 1,297 recording days in a longitudinal multi-site study conducted in free-living settings and registered with the German Clinical Trial Registry (DRKS00021693).

Participants comprised healthy individuals (N = 39) and patients with neurodegenerative disorders (NDD, N = 31) and immune mediated inflammatory diseases (IMID, N = 66). Objective physiological measures correlated with fatigue and sleep PROs, while demonstrating reasonable signal quality. Furthermore, analysis of heart rate recovery estimated during activities of daily living showed significant differences between healthy and patient groups.

This work underscores the promise and sensitivity of novel digital measures from multimodal sensor time-series to differentiate chronic patients from healthy individuals and monitor their HRQoL. The presented work provides clinicians with realistic insights of continuous at home patient monitoring and its practical value in quantitative assessment of fatigue and sleep, an area of unmet need.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2022.968185/full

Sean, Trish and Hutan like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Participants were excluded if they had certain comorbidities like major sleep disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, respiratory, cardiovascular or metabolic disorders or physical traumas with hospitalization in the past 3 months, diagnosis of cancer in the past 3 years, major psychiatric disorders, suicidal attempt in the past 5 years or suicidal ideation in the past 6 months, substance or ethanol abuse or severe visual impairment."

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Regarding that Newcastle Hospital article
    Interesting that there is such as recognition of fatigue as being such a troublesome symptom.

Julia Newton is part of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne NHS, she ran (runs?) the fatigue Clinic there and seems to be seen as an expert on fatigue in that region. On paper, she would be the ideal person to collaborate with Prof Ng on investigating the use of wearables in ME/CFS. I'm not sure, though, about what her views about ME/CFS really are (she has at times seemed to be in favour of GET), and the fatigue clinic seems to leave people with ME/CFS to the Newcastle CFS service. That CFS service made some of the worst comments we saw in the NICE consultation process. Maybe people in that region know what is really going on there - it's rather confusing from here.

Anyway, perhaps someone could approach Prof Ng to see if he could do a project on monitoring using wearables in ME/CFS? A Professor in Rheumatology - perhaps you know him @Jonathan Edwards?

Excerpt:

"Newcastle Hospitals is leading the IDEA-FAST study, which aims to find effective ways to monitor symptoms in patients with chronic disease.

The study involved patients with neurodegenerative and inflammatory diseases, where fatigue can have a major impact on quality of life.

One of the common side effects of chronic diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease and rheumatoid arthritis are problems with fatigue and disturbed sleep. Among patients with these diseases, fatigue is often rated as one of the most disabling symptoms, affecting their daily activities and their quality of life.

Despite this, monitoring these symptoms often relies on simply asking patients to fill in a questionnaire about their experiences. This method can be affected by patients misremembering things and not having enough detail about the intensity of their fatigue throughout the day.

Small, wearable device
    One way to provide more accurate and reliable results is for chronic disease patients to wear small devices to monitor these physiological signals throughout the day. In a paper published in Frontiers in Physiology, an international group of researchers used wearable devices to measure and record fatigue and sleep patterns in such patients to see how effective the technology could be.

The study is led by Prof. Fai Ng, honorary consultant rheumatologist at Newcastle Hospitals and professor of rheumatology in the Translational and Clinical Research Institute at Newcastle University.

Quality of life
    Professor Ng said:

“There’s an increasing number of articles all pointing towards fatigue being one of the biggest, if not the biggest factor, leading to a loss of quality of life in these patients,” "

Sean, SNT Gatchaman and Trish like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That makes sense to me, as assessing fatigue caused by the specific conditions included would be complicated by someone also having CFS.

They seem to be basing their assumptions about how to measure fatigue with a heart rate monitor on other studies that found ME/CFS patients had lower heart rate variability, so they take that as a measure of fatigue. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Hutan, Sean, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid I was not very inspired by the research approach of that group.
    The emphasis seems to be just on measuring the amount of fatigue. I think we need to measure the character of the problem in different conditions - the time profiles etc.

Sean, alktipping, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hutan

What is that opinion based on? This paper, the IDEA-FAST project (which seems to have taken a broader approach to assessing the utility of wearables), or direct knowledge of what the group is doing? I assumed that this group probably played a role in NICE approving five devices for use in monitoring Parkinsons patients over time.

I'm not sure about the 'normalisation' work done, adjusting data. But I think even this paper (one of a series from this IDEA-FAST project) is doing more than just measuring the amount of fatigue. They seem to be trying to find strong correlations between patient reported outcomes reported in nearly real time, and data collected by a wearable device. And a big part of this particular study seemed to be just showing the feasibility of wearables for data collection.

A research partner would ideally have access to wearables and to staff with experience in getting patients to use them accurately and in retrieving and perhaps cleaning the data. And access to a pipeline of funding. They don't necessarily have to be the ones coming up with what exactly is studied.

Sean, NelliePledge and Trish like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Interaction in relation to their rituximab for fatigue study, which I think was in primary biliary cirrhosis. There seemed to be an assumption that all fatigue was the same. Newton was explicitly saying that at the time.

I am unclear what Ng has to do with Chen and other people - sorry I am not clear of the case you are making in relation to whom.

Hutan and alktipping like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Maybe I should be clear that by that group I mean Newcastle, not the various authors of the paper cited.

Hutan and alktipping like this.
  10. Hutan

The approach to fatigue and ME/CFS specifically in Newcastle seems to be variable, it probably depends enormously on which team you are talking about. There are definitely some problematic attitudes there, and I personally doubt that Julia Newton has done much to counter those attitudes. There is some evidence that she is contributing to them.
    Rituximab for the treatment of fatigue in primary biliary cholangitis (formerly primary biliary cirrhosis): a randomised controlled trial
    Regarding the rituximab for fatigue study that you mention, I see that Julia Newton is a co-author. Given that she has not clearly opposed BPS views of ME/CFS, I do think that it is best to keep her away from anything to do with ME/CFS.

But, this study is by different researchers. While I could perhaps pick holes in the clarity of the conclusions in this paper (I haven't read it closely enough to do that), at least they are applying technology to the question of fatigue description, paving the way for objective outcomes. As far as I can see, this particular paper is one result from an international team investigating wearables in chronic conditions. So, perhaps these people could be useful collaborators?

Sean and Trish like this.