Assessing health state utilities for people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Australia using ... 2023 de Graaff et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Assessing health state utilities for people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Australia using the EQ-5D-5L, AQoL-8D and EQ-5D-5L-psychosocial instruments

Abstract

Purpose
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic condition with a constellation of symptoms presenting as severe and profound fatigue of ≥ 6 months not relieved by rest. ME/CFS affects health-related quality of life (HRQoL), which can be measured using multi-attribute health state utility (HSU) instruments. The aims of this study were to quantify HSUs for people living with ME/CFS, and to identify an instrument that is preferentially sensitive for ME/CFS.

Methods
    Cross-sectional national survey of people with ME/CFS using the AQoL-8D and EQ-5D-5L. Additional questions from the AQoL-8D were used as ‘bolt-ons’ to the EQ-5D-5L (i.e., EQ-5D-5L-Psychosocial). Disability and fatigue severity were assessed using the De Paul Symptom Questionnaire-Short Form (DSQ-SF). HSUs were generated using Australian tariffs. Mean HSUs were stratified for sociodemographic and clinical factors. Bland–Altman plots were used to compare the three HSU instruments.

Results
    For the 198 participants, mean HSUs (95% confidence intervals) were EQ-5D-5L: 0.46 (0.42–0.50); AQoL-8D: 0.43 (0.41–0.45); EQ-5D-5L-Psychosocial: 0.44 (0.42–0.46). HSUs were substantially lower than population norms: EQ-5D-5L: 0.89; AQoL-8D: 0.77. As disability and fatigue severity increased, HSUs decreased in all three instruments. Bland–Altman plots revealed interchangeability between the AQoL-8D and EQ-5D-5LPsychosocial. Floor and ceiling effects of 13.5% and 2.5% respectively were observed for the EQ-5D-5L instrument only.

Conclusions
    ME/CFS has a profound impact on HRQoL. The AQoL-8D and EQ-5D-5L-Psychosocial can be used interchangeably: the latter represents a reduced participant burden.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11136-023-03498-8

Sean, RedFox and Trish like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Caveats: This was an online survey that relied on participants' self-reports of ME/CFS diagnoses, so it may not be very accurate.

It was interesting that younger patients reported more severe disability, contrary to what is seen in the main population.
    upload_2023-8-11_15-19-7.png

Sean and Dolphin like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And the opposite to what we see in the DecodeME cohort, where participants rate themselves using the NICE severity scale.

Sean, RedFox, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.