Base Rates of Invalid Test Performance Across Clinical Non-forensic Contexts and Settings, 2020, Martin and Schroeder

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://academic.oup.com/acn/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/arclin/acaa017/5822934
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1093/arclin/acaa017

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So despite the continual emphasis that "the symptoms are real to the patient" we are back to 50% of MUS patients are lying. There goes the PIP :banghead:

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm trying to make sense of what is being communicated here but the writing is so bad I can't find it. It's just a word salad with a few sentences that come close to making sense but never quite make it. I think it's trying to make a case for confirmation bias and the god of the gaps by cherry-picking things and arguing stuff to support the prior conclusion that malingering is possibly something something. Best I can do, sorry.

Even great writers need editors. Bad writers especially need them. Stringing words together isn't good writing anymore than stringing code together makes for a functional program.

Though this is a great example for the problem of how STEM skills are overvalued above "soft" skills like communication. You need to be able to communicate if you want to communicate technical stuff.

Mithriel, Hutan, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How coherent are the Larabee papers quoted ?

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what I get from this is their happy to get it wrong 50% percent of the time . me I know they get it wrong 100% of the time it is all based on ridiculous notions of history that other people are sick because of some emotional weakness I truly wish there was no financial incentive to carry on with this grossly stupid idea .

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Better literary skills than this, but the substance is just as bad. It takes suspected cases of malingering then uses tests and questionnaires to confirm they are malingering. Which of course no test or questionnaire can do.

Just your typical put stuff in a box, label that box then confirm you labeled that box correctly since the conditions to be put in that box were met to personal satisfaction. It seems to be a different context but the same mentality for arguing that imprisoned people must be guilty since otherwise they wouldn't have been imprisoned in the first place, validating the assumption that no over has ever been wrongfully imprisoned and confirming there is no need to check individual cases.

People are weird. Smart people can be a whole special kind of weird.

Mithriel, Amw66, Sean and 2 others like this.