Bath-ing after foot surgery

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sarah94, Feb 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right, so my toenail is ingrown again and it looks like I am going to have to have the surgery after all. Sad face.

Here’s the kicker: I have to keep my foot dry for maybe 6 weeks after the surgery.

There are things you can buy for protecting your foot in the shower so that it doesn’t get wet. However, I’m not sure that they would make it okay to submerge your foot in a bath - I feel like if submerged then some water would get in?

Problem is, I find showers MUCH more tiring than baths. (Partly due to the noise of the shower, and partly due to not having the water to support my weight like you do in the bath.)

Does anyone know if there’s a way to safely bath without getting your foot wet?

(I have just experimented now with keeping my foot out of the bath whilst having a bath, and that’s not feasible lol, even more tiring than showering.)

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shower chairs deal with most of the problems, if not the noise. Use earplugs?

alktipping and hellytheelephant like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Maybe give up on showers and baths for the 6 weeks and have flannel and basin washes instead. Or shower less often and use washes in between. I agree shower stools or chairs are a big help.

4. Sarah94

Ear plugs dampen the noise but the noise is still very tiring for me
    Shower chairs do not solve the problem either - they’re not supportive, it’s just as tiring to sit in one as it is to sit in the shower without a chair.

alktipping and hellytheelephant like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, what a pain! It really is hard to to keep bits of you dry, as I know from having plaster casts. The best thing my former housemate came up with was (don't laugh) a well-inflated child's swimming armband fastened under her ankle. It meant her foot would float, but without her putting any effort into it. It's apparently a bit awkward to get into the bath, but getting out you can at least let some of the water run out to make it easier.

Hope you find a workable solution.

6. Sarah94

Trying to wash myself in a basin would be far more tiring lol

alktipping and Trish like this.
  7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Commiserations. Someone should really invent a shower chaise-longue.

alktipping, Trish and Sarah94 like this.
  8. Trish

Yes, I can see that. I find baths too difficult because of getting in and out. We're all different. Would you have anyone who can give you a bed bathe?

alktipping likes this.
  9. Sarah94

Honestly I think I would hate that
    I need to properly wash myself off in water!
    (Also my mum definitely wouldn’t do it, I CAN shower it’s just exhausting)

alktipping and Trish like this.
  10. Sarah94

Okay I found a website that sells protectors that can be submerged in water

it’s all good

https://bloccs.com/

Wits_End, MeSci, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have never tried to achieve this but if faced with the problem I would try:

1. Putting the smallest latex glove you can get to fit onto the bad forefoot. It might help to put some tubigrip round the foot first so that there are no places water can trickle under the glove.

AND

2. Putting a stool-type structure at the foot end of the bath with a top that was just above waterline. Get into the bath with the good foot and lie down with the bad foot resting on the stool.

Wits_End, FMMM1, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely agree & have same problems with showers Sarah, i find it almost as hard to balance on a shower stool than to stand on my 2 legs. Although to be fait that might not be the case in a proper shower stall, rather than the little stool i can fit into the bath (over-bath shower). And the racket it makes... ugh, although i love the sensation of it.

Perhaps you could try wearing several cast protectors all at same time time so a foot protector, over a lower leg protector, with a full leg protector over the top? these i mean...

Cast Protectors and Covers | Millercare

then perhaps what seeped through the leg/lower leg ones would be minimal enough not to make it through to the foot.

dunno might not work or be feasible, just an idea.

Given the consequences of getting it wet, especially for us where just havig to make an extra phone call let alone a visit to a nurse/hospital if it goes wrong, i think if it were me i'd be just using the full body bed bath wipes & not bothering with bth or shoewr. Particularly as it will be sore & you wont want to knock it if you get wobbly while showering.

Have you used the full body wipes, they're quite good.

alktipping, Sarah94 and Trish like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see you found the commercial version - which looked as if it might cost 'an arm and a leg' but at £22 is maybe not so bad!

14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a good idea, but lowering yourself down with one leg, will require a lot of strength. You can get those bath lifts like this Bellavita Bath Lift - Blue - NRS Healthcare Pro

bit pricey, but would help so you could step in with good leg & put your foot on the stool, sit on the seat & let it lower you into the water. You'd still want to be making the foot water proof with something though like Jonathan says - in case of slips or splashes

alktipping, Sarah94 and Trish like this.
  15. Trish

This thread is now closed at Sarah94's request, as she has found a solution. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.