(BMJ) "Where do viruses hide in the human body?", 2023, Extance

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bmj.com/content/382/bmj.p1156

Feature Covid Unanswered Questions
    Where do viruses hide in the human body?
    BMJ 2023; 382 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p1156 (Published 04 July 2023)Cite this as: BMJ 2023;382:p1156

1. Andy Extance, freelance journalist
    The question of how SARS-CoV-2 persists in the body has refocused scientists on the question of where viruses persist in humans more generally. Andy Extance summarises a complex situation

EzzieD, Ravn, boolybooly and 8 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Could something like persisting measles account for the sore throats that some of us experience in PEM?

EzzieD, Ravn, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite a few pwME seem to have coldsore reactivation with PEM so it wouldn't be entirely surprising if some other virus did the same in the throat. I doubt it would be measles though as these days most people would have been vaccinated. More likely something like adenovirus

Following a reference trail I've now lost, there seem to have been a few saliva studies, mostly relating to dentistry, showing herpes viruses quite frequently reactivate asymptomatically in healthy people, i.e. no coldsore or other symptoms but evidence of viral shedding in the saliva. Has anyone ever looked at the amount of viral shedding in saliva during PEM?

As an aside, ref #20 for possible viral persistence in ME is an old 2006 paper going on about the supposedly crucial role of emotions during a viral infection in causing problems down the track. Surely the author could have found something more recent and more sensible