Bodies in lockdown: Young women’s narratives of falling severely ill with ME/CFS during childhood and adolescence, 2022, Krabbe et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Thirteen women (16–30 years) storied their experiences about the process of falling severely ill with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome during childhood and adolescence. We performed a narrative analysis informed by phenomenology which yielded three central themes: The active and meaningful life I used to live; gradually developing unhomeliness and feeling pushed toward the edge; and left abandoned on the sidelines. Out of the incomprehensible and unpredictable emerges an understanding of the scale of their ordeal, along with advice that may have made it worse. This portrays a gradual developing uncertain, unhomely life situation with no outlooks for future recovery.

Open access, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07399332.2022.2043862

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't quite understand why they only picked participants who had recovered. At least without saying how representative they are for the patient group.

Towards the end of the discussion they imply that severe ME is a strategy where "the body protects itself" as "a body that is shut down is no longer susceptible to being pressured into anything". I don't understand what they mean here, and why not disease progression is an option. There are lots of encounters from severe ME sufferers about still being pressured by health care workers even when their bodies have "shut down".

I was half expecting some Recovery Norge- like stories in this paper, as one of the contributors were the leader of the National Competence Service for CFS/ME (very pro LP, GET, CBT), so was surprised to read the "Clinical implications" (my bold):