Body reprogramming for fibromyalgia and central sensitivity syndrome: A preliminary evaluation, 2023, Lanario et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objectives:
    Central sensitivity syndrome disorders such as fibromyalgia, provoke continued debate, highlighting diagnostic and therapeutic uncertainty. The Hyland model provides a way of understanding and treating the medically unexplained symptoms of central sensitivity syndromes using complexity theory and principles of adaption in network systems. The body reprogramming is a multi-modal intervention based on the Hyland model designed for patients living with medically unexplained symptoms. This preliminary, naturalistic and single-arm service evaluation set out to evaluate outcome after attending a body reprogramming course in patients living with fibromyalgia or central sensitivity syndrome.

Methods:
    Patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia or central sensitivity syndrome were recruited. The body reprogramming courses consisting of eight sessions, each 2.5 h in length, were run at two study sites in England. Data were collected at baseline, post course and 3-months post course using questionnaires assessing symptomatology (FIQR/SIQR), Depression (PHQ9), Anxiety (GAD7) and quality of life (GQoL). Repeated measures t-tests were used, and all comparisons were conducted on an intention to treat basis.

Results:
    In total, 198 patients with a mean age of 47.73 years were enrolled on the body reprogramming courses. Statistically and clinically significant improvement were observed in the FIQR from baseline to post course (mean change: 11.28) and baseline to follow-up (mean change: 15.09). PHQ9 scores also improved significantly from baseline to post course (mean reduction 3.72) and baseline to follow-up (mean reduction 5.59).

Conclusions:
    Our study provides first evidence that the body reprogramming intervention is an effective approach for patients living with fibromyalgia or central sensitivity syndromes on a variety of clinical measures. Besides these promising results, important limitations of the study are discussed, and larger randomized controlled trials are clearly warranted.

Open access, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/20503121231207207

Hutan likes this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ref 10 is to this study, Evaluating soreness symptoms of fibromyalgia: Establishment and validation of the Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire with Integration of Soreness Assessment, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31711726/, which makes no mention of post-exertional malaise.

Ref 11 is to Symptom frequency & development of a generic functional disorder symptom scale suitable for use in studies of patients w/IBS, FM and CFS, 2019, Hyland, ref 12 is to a paper from 2007 titled Fibromyalgia and overlapping disorders: the unifying concept of central sensitivity syndromes, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17350675/, where the abstract actually says "Methods: A critical overview of the literature and incorporation of the author's own views."!

Sean, SNT Gatchaman, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I wonder what NICE guideline they would claim to be following with this.

Michelle, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The objective looks like word soup to me. Single arm studies seem to be essentially useless without quantitative measurements.

Michelle, rvallee, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This. No controls mean the results mean nothing much. Also, the usual problem of people who are skeptical of something called 'body reprogramming' won't go near this course, so you have a group of people who are mostly open to the idea of being fixed by thinking differently and expect some improvement.

Listing the authors and affiliations - mostly a Devon/Cornwall association

Joseph Lanario - Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth
    Esther Hudson - Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Redruth, Cornwall
    Cosima Locher - Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth; University Hospital Zurich
    Annily Dee - University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, Plymouth
    Kerry Elliot - Royal Cornwall Hospital NHS Trust, Truro, Cornwall

I haven't looked at the paper yet - it will be interesting to see the number of dropouts in the followup

Michelle, rvallee, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had a quick look at the patients' guide to Body Reprogramming.
    http://www.bodyreprogramming.org/guide/PatientGuide.pdf

The theoretical idea seems to be that people who are perfectionists don't listen to their bodies when the are sick, and push through the body's 'stop' signals like pain and fatigue, so the body adapts by ramping up the stop signals to get us to take notice. Then when people have recovered from the infection or whatever, the signals are still ramped up, so we go on experiencing these increased pain and fatigue as 'stop' signals when we are actually well.

The treatment is a mish mash of breaking up activities with other activities, adding relaxation and mindfulness, regular exercise, sleep hygiene, healthy eating, doing things we enjoy and happy thoughts.

The inventor of the treatment is a professor who claims he cured himself from ME/CFS presumably with these treatments.

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or perhaps he improved, then adopted habits that corresponded better to his new state of health, and then conflated cause and effect and proclaimed the new habits caused the recovery.

Sean, alktipping, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hutan

Just noting the ongoing disappearance of ME/CFS. Now it seems that you can have fibromyalgia with PEM, presumably meaning that the NICE Guideline for ME/CFS can be ignored.

Just making up a conceptual model isn't the answer to this problem though.

Time to move on from CBT it seems and offer essentially the same sort of treatment with a different name. Old wine, new bottles.

A clinical service evaluation. So people whose reputations and income depend on finding a good result found a good result.

Because it was a clinical service evaluation, participants did not have to give their informed consent. And yet, the authors write: "Our study provides first evidence that the body reprogramming intervention is an effective approach" - so they were trialling an unevidenced therapy on participants. The word 'harm' does not appear in the paper. So, it seems that there was no acceptance of the possibility of this unevidenced therapy causing harm, and no monitoring of harm.

Michelle, rvallee, Sean and 3 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Hutan

Dropouts
    Of the 189 patients who were enrolled in the course (having accepted the CSS diagnosis), 135 filled out the end of course questionnaires and 81 (43%) of them filled out the questionnaires 3 months after the course. That's surely an enormous winnowing out of the non-believers and people who found that they were getting worse.

And, even with that, the reported average improvement in the primary outcome is very much in the 'relatively minor improvement' category that is characteristic of ineffective treatments relying on placebo effects in subjective outcomes (e.g. expectation effect, natural fluctuation in illness, being polite to the therapist).

Michelle, Sean, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  12. Hutan

I just want to emphasise the point about this being assessed as not actually being a study requiring consent from patients.

The authors claim they are trying something novel and unevidenced. They can't have things both ways. If it is novel, then participants should be asked to give consent; it should be explained that there is no evidence for the therapy they are being given. And there should be careful monitoring of harms, including beyond the 3 months, and with a substantial effort to follow up with the people who dropped out.

This isn't science and it isn't ethical. I think a complaint should be made to the ethical board that approved this study.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    Michelle, rvallee, Sean and 6 others like this.
  13. Hutan

It looks like any sort of therapy can be shown to produce a similar sort of benefit.
    Even 'mindfulness-based mediation' :laugh:. Is that where the participant and their body have a good chat with each other in order to resolve differences? ;)

Sorry for copying so many paragraphs, but I find the naivety displayed here amazing. Patients are upset because there is no effective care and no real understanding of what is causing their symptoms. And these people think that making up a story, a story that actually is far from new and is basically, 'you are over-sensitive, you need to get over yourself', with a few flourishes to, in their mind, make it sound all up to date and complicated ('a sophisticated computer' :rofl:) is going to fix the problem.

Derision is the easiest response to this paper. But, the authors of this paper with their weak unevidenced and harmful ideas are being let loose on people with debilitating symptoms. It's bloody awful and has to stop. Perhaps these authors have trouble hearing stop signals?

Michelle, rvallee, Sean and 6 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ref 11 is Symptom frequency and development of a generic functional disorder symptom scale suitable for use in studies of patients with irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia syndrome or chronic fatigue syndrome (2019, Chronic Diseases and Translational Medicine) which doesn't mention interstitial cystitis or the bladder, so does not support that statement.

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Further exclusion criteria included... non-acceptance of their CSS diagnosis or unwilling to take part in a group-based therapeutic intervention.

They are not even pretending anymore, are they.

How much more blatant does this corruption of methodology and ethics have to get before the rest of medicine steps in and kicks them out of the game?

Academic freedom does not extend to this toxic garbage.

16. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't make sense of the paper so I googled and found this video on a website that seems to come from Plymouth University.

It is the second of the two videos about the Hyland body reprogramming method called The Clinician's Perspective. (The first is by Hyland himself.) I found it so bizarre I think it would fit better on The Funny Side of Life thread :rolleyes:
    http://www.bodyreprogramming.org/videos.aspx
    It took at least 10 minutes to buffer for me.