Brain and Life: Why Exercise Is Important for People with POTS

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance' started by Andy, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Many people with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) have difficulty exercising. While poor tolerance of exercise is one of the key features of the syndrome, physical activity is an important therapy commonly recommended for people with this syndrome. POTS is a neurologic disorder characterized by a significant rise in heart rate—at least 30 beats per minute for adults and 40 for teens—when going from a lying to a standing position. Other symptoms include lightheadedness, dizziness, palpitations, nausea, weakness, and feeing faint."

"Many people with POTS may wonder why they should exercise if it makes them feel worse. A simple reason is that being inactive will make them feel sicker in the long run. The most important rule for those trying to be more active is to “start low and go slow,” which will be different for everyone. Some people with POTS are minimally impaired and can participate in sports and even run marathons. For others, walking from the bedroom to the bathroom can feel like a marathon. However, even people with greater impairments can incorporate movement and exercise whether lying down or sitting on the floor or couch. These suggestions can help you get started.
    Pace yourself. If you have severe fatigue or a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome/ myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME)—many people with POTS also have CFS/ME—you may need to work with a knowledgeable physical therapist or physiatrist to incorporate pacing. This allows you to be physically active while being mindful of post-exertional symptoms, which can cause a relapse and increase dizziness, difficulty thinking, and fatigue. "

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/why-exercise-is-important-for-people-with-pots

Sean, RedFox, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physiatrist? New on me.

Edit: ah, a US thing. Physios with go-faster stripes.

shak8, alktipping, CRG and 4 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I prefer them to be less qualified and to know their place. Makes it easier to refuse to follow their advice or to perform their requested exercises. Last time I was in hospital a physio tried to stop me from being discharged because I hadn’t proved to his satisfaction that I could climb stairs; if the bugger had some sort of medical certification and wasn’t just a chancer in a polo shirt, he might have got away with it.

5. DokaGirl

My pacing with POTS and ME is not completely controlled by me. I can't expect to make up a schedule of when to rest. I am forced by ME/POTS symptoms to lay down, or at least sit down.

It's interesting that in general, exercise increases blood circulation, but with POTS, the more time I spend walking, the more lightheaded I become.

6. DokaGirl

:thumbup:

livinglighter, RedFox, shak8 and 2 others like this.