Brain Autopsies Reveal a Potential New Culprit Behind Alzheimer's Disease

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by poetinsf, May 1, 2024.

1. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

University of Washington-led research, published in August, discovered microglia in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease were in a pre-inflammatory state more frequently, making them less likely to be protective.

The news article
    The paper

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Trish and 3 others like this.
  2. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was watching Younger's podcast on microglia in primed state as the culprit for ME/CFS. And then I came across this paper that found microglia in primed state in AD patients. The researcher admits though: "At this point, we can't say whether the microglia are causing the pathology or whether the pathology is causing these microglia to alter their behavior,"

MeSci, Amw66, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is an important point. Even if we get good evidence that this is occurring in ME/CFS it may be the case that it is a response to another issue. One could imagine that vascular/orthostatic issues could cause microglia to become activated. If that's the case, treating the activation directly may not improve all the symptoms. Younger has spoken about this before but it seems the first step is to determine if the activation is definitely occurring.

poetinsf, Sean and Yann04 like this.