Brexit is happening: what does it mean for science?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00215-0

DokaGirl, Aroa, InfiniteRubix and 9 others like this.
  2. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The effects of this are already being felt, unfortunately. Myself and all my colleagues lost our jobs at a University research centre last year.

The group had focused efforts on a European agency for funding because of ever dwindling UK investment. When the Brexit vote happened that agency announced there would be no more funding UK centres...

DokaGirl, Aroa, FMMM1 and 19 others like this.
  3. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm particularly upset about us abandoning the Erasmus program too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2020
    Wits_End, Aroa, FMMM1 and 13 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so sorry :(.

DokaGirl, Wits_End, Aroa and 9 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The loss of Erasmus is devastating. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your job, @Ryan31337.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2020
    DokaGirl, Wits_End, Aroa and 11 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:
    Please keep posts strictly to the thread topic of the effect of Brexit on science.
    A reminder of the rule:

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It always bothers me that the best and brightest people in the world (scientists) have such insecure work!

DokaGirl, Wits_End, Sean and 10 others like this.
  8. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting.

This article suggests that there is a glut of available funding for biomedical research in the UK leading to concerns that it is crowding out research in other areas and isn't being spent productively :

https://www.theguardian.com/science...to-burst-the-biomedical-bubble-in-uk-research

DokaGirl, InfiniteRubix and Andy like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks to me like a clear case of sour grapes. Not a single argument is produced to support the case - other than that those other meanies have lots of money.

10. Marco

Maybe so but my point was that those other meanies (biomedical researchers) appear to have lots of money.

11. Jonathan Edwards

So much so that they are laying off senior staff like there's no tomorrow.
    The problem is not that too much money is going to biomedical research but that it is going to people interested in furthering personal ambition and not in getting the right answer to a scientific question. How you resolve that I don't know. There are plenty of biomedical problems starved of money - as we all know.

12. Marco

Pardon me Jonathan but the gist I picked up in many discussions here was that as far as funding for ME/CFS was concerned (particularly with respect to the MRC) was that the funding would be there if there was any promising line of research to pursue.

Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

14. Jonathan Edwards

The situation is complicated. I think I would probably have turned down the great majority of applications for ME research, just as the funding bodies did. So maybe if good projects are put forward they will get funding - partly because ME is designate as a priority area in the UK. But there are a lot of useful projects in other areas that do not get funded. I don't actually think we have evidence of a contradiction. The system is a mess in many respects because of the people who dominate peer review. And as I said, I am not sure how you resolve that.

15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I regret that UK science groups, working on ME, are likely to find it more difficult to participate in EU research under Horizon Europe program.

@Simon M and @Andy have been involved in Chris Pointing's bid for UK (NIHR-MRC) funding for a GWAS study in ME.

We need more projects like Chris's funded in the UK and EU.

I think UK science will be weaker i.e. without access to EU funding; similarly EU science will be weaker without the participation of UK scientists.