1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a biopsychosocial model of cancer-related fatigue: the BIOCARE FActory cohort study protocol, 2021, Chartogne et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background
    Cancer-related fatigue (CRF) is the most common side effect of cancer and cancer treatment. CRF prevalence is up to 50% in breast cancer patients and can continue several years after cancer remission. This persistent subjective sense of exhaustion is multifactorial. Numerous parameters have been evidenced to be related to CRF across biological, physical, psychological, social and/or behavioral dimensions. Although CRF has been studied for many years, the majority of previous studies focused on only one dimension, i.e., physical function. Moreover, few studies investigated CRF longitudinally with repeated measures. These are the two main obstacles that limit the understanding of CRF mechanisms. The purpose of this study is to create a biopsychosocial model of CRF with simultaneous and longitudinal anthropometric, clinical, biological, physical, psychological and sociological parameters.

Methods
    BIOCARE FActory is a multicentric prospective study that will consist of an 18-month follow-up of 200 women diagnosed with breast cancer. Four visits will be scheduled at diagnosis, after treatments, and 12 and 18 months after diagnosis. The same procedure will be followed for each visit. Each session will be composed of anthropometric data collection, a semi-structured interview, cognitive tests, postural control tests, neuromuscular fatigability tests and a cardiorespiratory fitness test. Clinical and biological data will be collected during medical follow-ups. Participants will also complete questionnaires to assess psychological aspects and quality of life and wear an actigraphy device. Using a structural equation modeling analysis (SEM), collected data will build a biopsychosocial model of CRF, including the physiological, biological, psychological, behavioral and social dimensions of CRF.

Discussion
    This study aims to highlight the dynamics of CRF and its correlates from diagnosis to post treatment. SEM analysis could examine some relations between potential mechanisms and CRF. Thus, the biopsychosocial model will contribute to a better understanding of CRF and its underlying mechanisms from diagnosis to the aftermaths of cancer and its treatments.

Open access, https://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12885-021-08831-3

sebaaa, Hutan, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the paper:

"The relationship to psychological dimensions is also well established. Using specific questionnaires, anxiety and depression were investigated in breast cancer patients across many years and were strongly correlated with CRF severity [26]. Coping strategies, particularly catastrophizing (a lack of confidence and an expectation of negative outcomes), may be associated with CRF [27]. Furthermore, women with breast cancer may undergo surgical mastectomy in addition to chemotherapy, which impacts body image, self-esteem and may lead to depressive symptoms [28, 29]. Cognitive processes, such as attention, concentration and memory, are affected before and during treatments and related to CRF [30]. These cancer-related cognitive impairments have been frequently attributed to chemotherapy neurotoxicity and dubbed “chemo fog” or “chemobrain” [31]. As part of the social dimension of CRF, social networks and support were studied using questionnaires and interviews. Generally, the lack of social support was identified as a factor of fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome [32]. Among breast cancer patients, those who reported lower levels of social support had elevated CRF [33]."

Lilas, sebaaa, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it interesting that the people I met who developed ME post cancer were told by the cancer nurses the post treatment fatigue would resolve itself with time. They fully expected it to go away eventuallyand had no knowledge of ME beforehand.

I notice a number of the authors are from a Dept called Movement -Interactions -Performance at Le Mans University. So this makes it seem like its mission creep from.them rather than something driven by oncology.

A statement that can be interpreted a number of ways. My interpretation being that those with elevated levels of CRF will be more aware of a lack of support because they need it and it isn't there.

The phrase tail wagging the dog comes to mind.

alktipping, Snowdrop, Tia and 9 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they'll need to do a whole load of housework, admin, and general life stuff that other patients might get support with, and possibly even return to work sooner. Not surprising then if they report more fatigue.

Woolie, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh fuck off already, my mother hasn't regained her energy for 2 years now. She needs actual research, not this dog and pony show again.

TiredSam, Woolie, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Building a biopsychosocial model of"

[​IMG]

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

£££££££

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)