Central 5-HTergic hyperactivity induces myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)-like pathophysiology, 2024, Lee et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

[In mice]

Abstract
    Objectives

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a significant medical challenge, with no indisputable pathophysiological mechanism identified to date.

Methods
    Based on clinical clues, we hypothesized that 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) hyperactivation is implicated in the pathogenic causes of ME/CFS and the associated symptoms. We experimentally evaluated this hypothesis in a series of mouse models.

Results
    High-dose selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) treatment induced intra- and extracellular serotonin spillover in the dorsal raphe nuclei of mice. This condition resulted in severe fatigue (rota-rod, fatigue rotating wheel and home-cage activity tests) and ME/CFS-associated symptoms (nest building, plantar and open field test), along with dysfunction in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis response to exercise challenge. These ME/CFS-like features induced by excess serotonin were additionally verified using both a 5-HT synthesis inhibitor and viral vector for Htr1a (5-HT1A receptor) gene knockdown.

Conclusions
    Our findings support the involvement of 5-HTergic hyperactivity in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS. This ME/CFS-mimicking animal model would be useful for understanding ME/CFS biology and its therapeutic approaches.

Open access, https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-023-04808-x

shak8 likes this.
  2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1980s called and asked for their idea back.

hotblack, shak8, Jaybee00 and 8 others like this.
  3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m laughing at the thought of us building nests.

hotblack, RedFox, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From hibernation bear caves to nests.

alktipping, Wonko, Midnattsol and 2 others like this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)