Review Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Future Direction, 2024, Graves et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Oct 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

B. Sue Graves Mitsu PatelHailey NewgentGauri ParvathyAhmad NasriJillene MoxamGurnoor S. GillVivek SawhneyManish Gupta

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), is a complex, chronic condition marked by persistent, debilitating fatigue that is not alleviated by rest and often worsens with physical or mental exertion. Along with fatigue, patients experience various symptoms, including cognitive impairments, post-exertional malaise, muscle and joint pain, sleep disturbances, and immune system dysfunction.

Diagnosing CFS/ME is challenging due to the absence of definitive biomarkers, the overlap of symptoms with other conditions, and the lack of standardized diagnostic criteria. This comprehensive literature review aims to contribute to the understanding of CFS/ME, including its diagnosis, pathophysiology, differential diagnosis, treatment, and future directions.

Open access: https://www.cureus.com/articles/299...e-diagnosis-treatment-and-future-direction#!/

Missense, JohnTheJack and forestglip like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just skimmed through it to see what it says about GET for example.

Missense, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  3. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

38: Circulating microRNA expression signatures accurately discriminate [ME] from fibromyalgia and comorbid conditions 2023 Moreau et al

They cite one paper for all these claims, but that paper doesn't talk about any of these claims, as far as I can tell.

----

Edit: Also from this thread's paper:
    37: Neuroimaging characteristics of ME/CFS: a systematic review. Shan et al. 2020

37 doesn't have anything to do with genetics, except for one sentence: "Several recent studies have demonstrated that Ca2+ mobilisation is impaired in ME/CFS from genetic [78, 79], molecular biological [80], and electrophysiological aspects [81]."

----

Edit 2: Where they cited 38, they probably meant to cite 33, which says this:
    33: The Gut Microbiome in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), 2022, Scheibenbogen et al

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024
    Missense, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In terms of these four SNPs, @Chris Ponting on the paper this is based on:

Missense, JohnTheJack, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. By all means, let's have another wasted decade, probably more, of terrible biased studies from biased ideologues while the current flawed guidance remains in place and continues to harm people. Good grief this profession is such a mess.

Even in LC all the trials are tiny pilot/feasibility studies. They're actually even lower quality, and the quality was already beneath consideration. Absolutely maddening disregard for patients yet again.

Missense, EzzieD, JohnTheJack and 5 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Moreover, there are concerns about patient adherence to GET protocols. Due to the nature of CFS/ME, patients may experience fluctuating levels of fatigue and post-exertional malaise, making it difficult for them to adhere to a structured exercise regimen [47,48]. This variability in adherence further complicates the interpretation of study results, as it becomes challenging to differentiate between the effects of the therapy and the natural course of the illness.

I would have said unknown level of adherence rather than variability. But otherwise pleased to see this very critical issue being raised.

Also critical is that adherence measures need to account for patients trading off adherence to therapy with reducing normal daily/weekly activities. Merely adhering to treatment protocol is meaningless if patients are not doing more than their normal levels of overall activity.