Chronic fatigue syndrome post-COVID-19: triple-blind randomised clinical trial of Astragalus root extract 2024 Banihashemi et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 6, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objective
    This study aimed to evaluate the effect of Astragalus root extract on nurses suffering from post-COVID-19 chronic fatigue syndrome.

Materials and methods
    The study was designed as a triple-blind, randomised, controlled trial in Iran in 2023. 64 chronic fatigue syndrome nurses were randomly assigned to one of two groups: an intervention group (n=32) that received Astragalus root extract (500 mg two times per day) or a control group (n=32) that received a placebo. Changes in chronic fatigue syndrome scores were measured before to, at the end of and 1 month after the intervention. Data were analysed using descriptive and analytical statistics (T-tests, χ2, analysis of variances, Cochran’s Q tests, McNemar and generalised estimating equations).

Results
    In comparison to before, chronic fatigue prevalence decreased statistically significantly at the end of the intervention group (13.8%) and 1 month later (17.2%). Further, the frequency differed between before and after (p=0.0001) and 1 month later (p=0.0001). In the control group, chronic fatigue was statistically significantly different before and after the intervention (72.2%; p=0.003). Having an underlying disease (B=0.84, OR=2.33; p=0.04) and being in the control group (B=2.15, OR=12.36; p=0.01) increased the risk of chronic fatigue, whereas increasing the length of time decreased it (B=−0.67, OR=0.50; p=0.0001).

Conclusion
    Astragalus root extract has been shown to reduce chronic fatigue in nurses. Therefore, this herbal extract can be used to reduce the incidence and treatment of chronic fatigue in nurses.

Paywall, https://spcare.bmj.com/content/early/2024/06/04/spcare-2023-004595

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Being paywalled, I am unable to determine how "chronic fatigue syndrome" was specified. Given that they then refer only to chronic fatigue in the later part of the abstract I doubt they used any criteria that screened for PEM.

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inclusion criteria include not having the exclusion criteria...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  4. SNT Gatchaman

It continues on. It's laughable, but not really any different to the prime BPS papers: predisposing to, precipitating and perpetuating their circular diagrams.

Also true of BPS: a vicious cycle which if not broken continues to occur.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I actually did laugh out loud when I saw how well they did in not extrapolating beyond their sample population.

Presumably, never mind ongoing exposure to Covid-19, never mind probably inadequate protective equipment and ventilation. Just have some astragalus.

6. Hutan

What are they actually saying here? It looks like there was 13.8% less chronic fatigue in the treatment group after one month of treatment. But was the incidence of chronic fatigue in the control group after the treatment 72.2% of what it was before? So 27.8% less chronic fatigue in the control group?
    I assume I don't have it right. But I don't know what they are saying.

7. SNT Gatchaman

Yes. #in-nurses instead of #in-mice. ;)

I don't think it's worth spending any time on. The Canadian taurine paper is of more interest.

8. Hutan

(I have a soft spot for astragalus. I don't know why. I've boiled up astragalus roots and drunk the tea sometimes, just because. I can't say that I noticed it did anything, good or bad, but if someone gave me an astragalus tonic from a reputable brand, I'd probably drink it. Which is to say, I am a receptive audience. But these researchers, they give me nothing upon which my unfounded faith in this plant can rest.)

9. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on just the objective results claimed in the abstract, I'm not sure why you guys are dismissing this so easily.

@SNT Gatchaman Can you paste any charts showing effect size?

Also, do they go into more detail on the DePaul questionnaire? MEpedia says:

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  10. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think given they mismatch between chronic fatigue and ME/CFS, gives a first hint why this might not be referring to what we see as ME/CFS.

Would be the second hint

also the depaul questionnaire is not used to diagnose alone and ME has many symptoms that would flag up in “Chronic fatigue”.

From me-pedia

11. forestglip

If you're correct that there was more improvement in the control but they decided to claim the herb helps because the intervention group did improve from baseline, I might cry.

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. Yann04

If you skim through the de-paul questionnaire, you can see why without proper testing it could identify someone with chronic fatigue who has some chronic pain.

13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. If that proportion of any profession were shown to have ME/CFS, (a) there'd be an enormous amount of interest, and (b) the profession would be in crisis with so many unable to work.

14. forestglip

The five items they later added seem to help a bit:
    IMG_20240606_074030.jpg

A Brief Questionnaire to Assess Post-Exertional Malaise

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  15. Yann04

I’m assuming this is referring to the CCC?

Given the CCC finds population prevalence of under 1%, and DePaul is based on the CCC. The findings of 17-39% are extremely suspect.

16. Yann04

Sadly, every single one of the PEM questions are related to fatigue. So it is not hard to imagine why someone with depression or burnout (but without ME) might get flagged here.

17. forestglip

Hmm..

I agree.

Peter Trewhitt, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't bother crying. I don't think these figures are what we call statistically significant at all. They are just differences between before and after. Not between groups.

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Reminded me of Alice in Wonderland and the bottle labelled 'Drink me'.

20. SNT Gatchaman