Clinical and Biomarker Profile Responses to Rehabilitation Treatment in Patients with Long COVID Characterized by Chronic Fatigue 2023, Binetti et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 28, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract:
    Long COVID (LC) syndrome is a complex multiorgan symptom that persists beyond >12 weeks after SARS-CoV-2 infection. The most frequently associated symptom is fatigue. Physical activity and exercise are recommended, although specific studies are lacking. The objectives of the present work are to analyze the impact of a supervised exercise program on the clinical evolution of LC with fatigue patients and to identify whether certain circulating biomarkers could predict the response to rehabilitation.

The rehabilitation treatment response was analyzed in 14 women diagnosed with LC and fatigue, based on the changes in the 6 min walk test and Borg/Fatigue Impact scales. Patients who showed improvement in the meters walked were considered “responders” to the therapy. A total of 65% of patients responded to the exercise program, with an improvement in the meters walked and in oxygen saturation, with stability in the percentage of meters walked.

Participants with obesity and those double-vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 presented a lower degree of fatigue. LC patients presented a favorable response to a supervised exercise program.

Differences in creatinine and protein levels were observed between rehabilitation therapy “responders” and “nonresponders”. A good state of protein nutrition was related to a better rehabilitation response. The results are promising regarding possible predictive biomarkers of rehabilitation response, such as creatinine.

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/15/7/1452

RedFox likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Small sample, no blinding, lots of confounding factors like obesity and other conditions.
    Results table:

6 minute walk test:
    Meters walked
    before: 431.92 ± 58.90
    after: 439.33 ± 62.30
    The p value for the improvement in walking distance is given as p <0.001 but the difference is clearly nowhere near clinically significant.

Lisa108, NelliePledge, Sean and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Also they make a big thing of a significant difference in creatine levels between so called responders and non responders, but the sample sizes were tiny - 4 or 5 in each group, and there were lots of different chemicals measured with creatine being the only one that hit significance.
    I can't see any mention of correcting for multiple comparisons.

14 patients started the treatment and only 9 completed, so a huge drop out rate.

They say in the conclusion
    "Although the sample size is small, most of the patients were responders to treatment."
    In fact out of 14: 5 dropped out, 5 responded and 4 did not respond.
    So the claim that most responded is wrong.
    And there was no control group.

My conclusion:
    This study is nonsense.

Lisa108, Wyva, Lou B Lou and 10 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

No control group. Dead before the starting gun is fired.

Do they genuinely not understand that adequate control (of all the relevant significant variables) is how science is done?

Wyva, Lou B Lou, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As above, this seems really bad.

Table 4, n=9 so presumably the <85% predicted 6MWT group. (Where is FIS?)

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 4.48.28 PM Medium.jpeg

I don't understand this. "Percentage of meters walked" is presumably percent predicted. (Unless it's percent walked vs crawled !!). How can these 9/14 be at the same time below 85% predicted but also all were "within normal limits" at both time points. How does meters walked increase but percentage of meters walked decrease? Note the HR also increases with very little increased work/distance covered. Borg fatigue and dyspnoea also both increase. Shades of PACE.

Admittedly a reverse comparison, and one where normal is of course zero, rather than say 600m for the 6MWT [ref], but —

If I compared CT scans pre and post 2 cycles of chemotherapy and tried to claim a tumour reduction from 439 mL to 431 mL represented a favourable response, I'd be laughed out of the oncology meeting. Meanwhile the discussion would move on to decisions around escalating therapy...

Sean, Wyva, Lou B Lou and 4 others like this.
  6. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was puzzling over this predicted 'percentage of metres' walked too. I think it may have come from an equation in the paper in reference no.27 (link below) I've only skim read the paper but I think the original authors rejected the equation as it didn't account for all the variations between populations. Their graphs of distribution curves and histograms are more helpful.

The 6-min walk distance in healthy subjects: reference standards from seven countries, C. Casanova, et al

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/37/1/150

RedFox, Sean and Trish like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But, if they do that, then they can't do this. See, they prefer some outcomes and that's just that. Especially if it aligns with their prior expectations. And if I got this right, these days it's called being cancelled by the woke mob, or something like that.

We prefer the definition Sharpe response to PACE changed outcomes.png

Sean, SNT Gatchaman and RedFox like this.