Clinicians urged to move away from ‘doctor knows best’ view

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clinicians urged to move away from ‘doctor knows best’ view (msn.com)

MeSci, Sean, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Humility. What a concept.

Had to ask ChatGPT to be sure:
    Hopefully we can do this with less pomp, but I like the general idea. Heh, general idea.

What's weird is that MDs are generally trained to be humble. To know the limits of their knowledge. To admit their possible failings. To be aware that much of their knowledge is unlikely to be complete.

I wonder where it all goes wrong? Because if they're taught this stuff, they have to be taught the exact opposite as well, since it's what usually sticks out. I guess it just really depends on the situation, but clearly it fails mainly exactly in the situations where the humility should apply the most. Maybe it just fails in employment, when the demands of the job just throw out most of the flowery ideas and principles and the people in charge are constantly aware of how liable and expensive mistakes are, and always best covered up.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Humility is the key - and something drummed into me by my physician father but not something I always saw in colleagues to be sure.

But I don't think this study is the answer. The reason you do not ask patients for accounts of the symptoms they think are important is largely that those symptoms are often not very helpful in making a diagnosis. It is completely wrong to suggest that physicians should put more weight on 'lived experience' in making diagnosis if there is no reliable evidence that those experiences lead to a precise assessment of pathology and choice of treatment based on reliable evidence.

I am sorry but at least from the snippet posted this sounds like just the sort of psychosocial drivel we should avoid.

FMMM1, shak8, Sean and 2 others like this.