Comparative Efficacy and Safety of Wakefulness-Promoting Agents for Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Patients With OSA, Pitre 2023

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Jaybee00, May 9, 2023.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M22-3473

Comparative Efficacy and Safety of Wakefulness-Promoting Agents for Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Background:
    Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) is common among patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic agents is unknown.

Purpose:
    To compare the effectiveness of drugs for EDS in OSA using network meta-analysis.

Data Sources:
    MEDLINE, CENTRAL, EMBASE, and ClinicalTrials.gov to 7 November 2022.

Study Selection:
    Reviewers identified randomized trials that enrolled patients with EDS-associated OSA on or eligible for conventional therapy assigned to any pharmacologic intervention.

Data Extraction:
    Paired reviewers independently extracted data addressing effects of drugs on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), and adverse events at the longest reported follow-up. The certainty of evidence was assessed using the GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation) approach.

Data Synthesis:
    Fourteen trials (3085 patients) were eligible. At 4 weeks, compared with placebo, solriamfetol improves ESS scores (mean difference [MD], −3.85 [95% CI, −5.24 to −2.50]; high certainty), and armodafinil–modafinil (MD, −2.25 [CI, −2.85 to −1.64]; moderate certainty) and pitolisant–H3-autoreceptor blockers (MD, −2.78 [CI, −4.03 to −1.51]; moderate certainty) probably improve ESS scores. At 4 weeks, compared with placebo, solriamfetol (standardized mean difference [SMD], 0.9 [CI, 0.64 to 1.17]) and armodafinil–modafinil (SMD, 0.41 [CI, 0.27 to 0.55]) improve MWT (both high certainty), whereas pitolisant–H3-autoreceptor blockers probably do not (moderate certainty). At 4 weeks, armodafinil–modafinil probably increases the risk for discontinuation due to adverse events (relative risk [RR], 2.01 [CI, 1.14 to 3.51]; moderate certainty); solriamfetol may increase the risk for discontinuation due to adverse events (RR, 2.07 [CI, 0.67 to 6.25]; low certainty). Low certainty evidence suggests these interventions may not increase the risk for serious adverse events.

Limitations:
    There is limited evidence on long term or effectiveness among patients nonadherent or with mixed adherence to conventional OSA therapies.

Conclusion:
    Solriamfetol, armodafinil–modafinil, and pitolisant reduce daytime sleepiness for patients with OSA already on conventional therapy, with solriamfetol likely superior. Adverse events probably increase the risk for discontinuation of armodafinil–modafinil and may increase the risk for discontinuation with solriamfetol.

Popular article

https://www.medpagetoday.com/pulmonology/sleepdisorders/104401

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Michelle, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or a novel approach allow sick people to sleep when their bodies demand it most .This constantly expecting sick or disabled people to fill the roles of healthy individuals is obnoxious ableism dressed up to make the medical industry look like they have answers .

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With my ME I now don’t fight my free wheeling sleep patterns, but just sleep when I need to, which for me feels much better than trying to force arbitrary sleep goals, however that is possible only because I am no longer working and largely am unable to participate in wider social interaction, however for people still working or involved in daily routines imposed by others’ schedules may not have the option of sleeping when they need to. Then finding some way of managing day time tiredness becomes necessary.

I agree that ‘the sleep police’ are not potentially unhelpful and in general inappropriately seek to impose current societal norms as biological laws without any evidence or any idea as to whether it will help or even harm. However many people with sleep issues are trapped in circumstances dictated by others’ timetables.

(Note - when I was still working I tried to ensure 20 to 30 minutes lying on the office floor at lunch time, though I can’t say if this apparently helped because of tiredness or because of my orthostatic intolerance.)

alktipping, Mij, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

It is the only thing that has worked for me. I sleep when my body says sleep.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.