Considerations in the Management of Functional Neurological Disorders in Patients with Hearing Loss 2023 Libdeh et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

CASE:
    Adam is a 14-year-old adolescent boy with hearing loss who presented to the pediatric neurology clinic accompanied by his father for evaluation of new-onset left hand tremor for a duration of 1 month. An American Sign Language interpreter was present and used throughout the visit.

Adam has bilateral sensorineural hearing loss related to premature birth at 28 weeks' gestation. He uses sign language and attends a school for the hearing impaired. He has been diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and a nonspecific learning disorder. His ADHD symptoms are well controlled with a stimulant medication. He is independent in activities of daily living, and there is no concern for intellectual disability. His father is concerned that Adam may have anxiety, but this has not been evaluated.

After careful history, it is found that the tremor was first noted the day after burglars broke into his home and stole precious belongings. Current stressors include difficulties with schoolwork and a strained relationship with an extended family member. There is no family history of tremor.

The tremor was intermittent initially, with episodes lasting around 30 minutes. Over time, the tremor became more persistent. Adam is left-handed, and the tremor is now interfering with handwriting, eating, and other fine motor skills. The tremor worsens when Adam is tired or stressed and improves with relaxation. No tremor has been noted in other body parts. Adam denies any other neurological symptoms, including headache, vision changes, or gait abnormalities.

On examination, Adam seemed anxious but showed no significant distress and had normal vital signs. His general examination was unremarkable. His neurological examination showed intact cranial nerves, apart from the hearing impairment. He had normal muscle tone, intact strength and coordination, and a normal casual gait. Rhythmic shaking of the left upper extremity was present with action, while maintaining posture. Using specific examination techniques, the examiner was able to alter the rhythm of the tremor, and the tremor was noted to subside when the patient was engaged with the examiner. These findings in addition to signs of suggestibility and variable frequency/direction were consistent with a functional etiology.

The diagnosis of a functional neurological disorder manifesting in the form of functional tremor was discussed with the patient and his father with assistance from the sign language interpreter. Counseling regarding management consisting mainly of cognitive behavioral therapy and evaluation of possible coexisting conditions, such as anxiety, was discussed.

What factors would you consider in diagnosis and management of functional neurological disorder in a hearing-impaired child/adolescent?

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/jrnldbp/Ab...tions_in_the_Management_of_Functional.93.aspx

RedFox, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd be checking his cortisol levels. Being burgled is stressful. So is being deaf. His cortisol levels may have rocketed after the burglary, and already been high as a result of his deafness.

And is tremor or effects on cortisol one of the side effects of his ADHD medication?

Joan Crawford, Hutan, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder why FND aficionados are so ready to seize on tremors?

I have an intermittent tremor, most often involving just my left arm and at meal times, especially if the meal is late, ie when I am hungry. I did not first notice it myself, but rather a friend pointed it out to me a number of years ago. At its worst I have problems keeping food on a fork and then need to switch hands for the knife and fork, but generally it has no practical implications and seems to now be relatively stable.

However the FND obsession with tremors has meant I have not mentioned to my own doctor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  4. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems the FND crowd salivates over any unexplained symptom. I agree that movement issues like tremor, seizure, gait, balance, etc are their primary target, but the cognitive complaints ME patients readily delineate are also within their grasp.

No matter what they capture, it always seems to come back to rehabilitative therapies, which we know lack evidence

RedFox, Sid, Milo and 5 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As @Arnie Pye mentioned tremor can definitely be a side effect. In the information I read about Pregabalin(Lyrica) It is listed as a common side effect (affecting 1-10%). My only experience of tremors was when I was still taking pregabalin. It’s a drug that’s one of the main ones listed for neuropathic pain.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Some members of one side of my family have an essential tremor, some since childhood, including some of the otherwise healthiest people I know.

It often runs in families and I have a mild episodic one too, mainly in the hands and arms, but also sometimes also the head/jaw/tongue. Mine started, or at least became significant, about 20 years ago, around 40yo.

No way I am mentioning it to a doctor in the FND era, unless it gets really bad or develops an unusual pattern.