Consumer Reports: "Lead and Cadmium Could Be in Your Dark Chocolate"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by DokaGirl, Dec 28, 2022.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

December 15, 2022; Consumer Reports Article as per above title, by Kevin Loria; Data visualizations by Andy Bergmann

From the article intro: "Consumer Reports found dangerous heavy metals in chocolate from Hershey's, Theo, Trader Joe's and other popular brands. Here are the ones that had the most, and some that are safer."

(Please see the link below for product names)

"CR's Chocolate Test Results
    We tested 28 dark chocolate bars for lead and cadmium. To determine the risk posed by the chocolates in CR’s test, we used California's maximum allowable dose level (MADL) for lead (0.5 micrograms) and cadmium (4.1mcg). Shown are the percentages of the MADL supplied in an ounce of each chocolate. Our results indicate which products had comparatively higher levels and are not assessments of whether a product exceeds a legal standard. We used those levels because there are no federal limits for the amount of lead and cadmium most foods can contain, and CR’s scientists believe that California’s levels are the most protective available. While both cadmium and lead pose serious health risks, products within each category are listed in order of lead level, because that heavy metal poses particular concerns and no amount of it is considered safe."

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/lead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate-a8480295550/

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and shak8 like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This info gives one pause, especially at this time of year.

Peter Trewhitt and shak8 like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh Christ, I've been eating Lindt.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  4. Sarah94

Is this an actual issue or just one of those storm in a teacup panic things? Lots of people eat lots of dark chocolate and are perfectly fine...

5. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

I shared this same CR article in an online community of mine hoping to protect people. For what it’s worth, here’s an explanation I received about how the claims in it are misleading and overstate the risks.

Attached Files:

alktipping, Simbindi, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A rough calculation - you'd have to eat one 100grm bar of Green & Blacks 85% per kilogramme of your body weight to meet the WHO "Tolerable weekly intake for cadmium at 7 μg/kg/body weight/week" limit: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/cadmium/Safety-Standards.html

7. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw this article, too, and was horrified at first because my chocolate bar of choice, Theo's 85% Dark, is one of the ones listed as having the most lead and cadmium. But I only eat 1 small square a day, so I figure it won't kill me.

I really like this particular chocolate because it's so smooth. Some of the really dark chocolate brands taste either sour or too bitter for me.

8. Sarah94

Right, thanks. Phew!!