COVID-19’s Impact on Athletes: Reduced Cardiorespiratory fitness after a SARS-CoV-2 Infection, 2024, Hasler, Erik et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Mij, Sep 17, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Objective
    This study aimed to identify potential changes in cardiorespiratory fitness among athletes who had previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2.

Methods
    In this prospective observational multicenter hybrid study (CoSmo-S), cardiopulmonary exercise testing on treadmills or bicycle ergometers involving 2314 athletes (39.6% female) was conducted. German federal squad members (59.6%) and non-squad athletes were included in the study. 1170 (37.2% female) subjects were tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 via PCR from which we had pre-SARS-CoV-2 infection examinations available for 289 subjects. Mixed effect models were employed to analyze amongst others the following dependent variables: Power output at individual anaerobic threshold (POIAT/kg), maximal power output (POmax/kg), measured V̇O2max/kg, heart rate at individual anaerobic threshold (HRIAT) and maximal heart rate (HRmax).

Results
    A SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with a decrease in POIAT/kg (-0.123 W/kg, p < 0.001), POmax/kg (-0.099 W/kg, p = 0.002), measured V̇O2max/kg (-1.70 ml/min/kg, p = 0.050) and an increase HRIAT (2.50 b/min, p = 0.008), HRmax (2.59 b/min, p < 0.001) within the first 60 days after SARS-CoV-2 infection. Using the pandemic onset in Germany as longitudinal reference point, the healthy control group showed no change over time in these variables respectively an increase in POmax (+0.126 W/kg, p = 0.039) during the first 60 days after the reference point. Subgroup analyses showed that both squad members and endurance athletes experienced greater decreases in cardiorespiratory fitness compared to non-squad members respectively athletes from explosive power sports.

Conclusions
    A SARS-CoV-2 infection is associated with a decline in cardiorespiratory fitness in athletes for approximately 60 days. Potential factors contributing to this outcome seem to be cardio-pulmonary and vascular alterations in consequence of SARS-CoV-2. A minor effect on cardiorespiratory fitness has training interruption due to acute symptoms and/or quarantine.
    LINK

Murph likes this.
  2. Murph

Murph Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent group of test subjects. I hope they have continued to follow up with them and seen how their health goes beyond 60 days.

From 1170 covid infections you would probaby expect 400 to have some lasting symptoms at 3 months, maybe a third (130 ppl) of which is they can't smell or their lungs hurt, and two-thirds (270ppl) fatigue . And then you'd expect plenty of those to get better, but i reckon you'd expect maybe ~60 cases of long covid with me/cfs characteristics at the 2 year mark.

NelliePledge and Mij like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It took 5.5+ years in my case after sudden viral onset. I did have odd muscle sensation after small amounts of exercise but nothing else, and if I did too much my legs muscles would get fatigued. I wasn't experiencing delayed PEM or cognitive issues.

alktipping likes this.