COVID-19: UK volunteers to be deliberately exposed to COVID in world-first trial

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Lidia Thompson, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unbelievable and totally unethical, surely?

A study has been given the green light to find volunteers who will be intentionally exposed to coronavirus in a bid to speed up the manufacture of new vaccines.

The study will start in the UK ... no surprise there, then.

They are choosing only young volunteers ... but no thought seems to have been given to the fact that some of these young folk could go on to developing a chronic disease.
    It's heartbreaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoYtZli1ahU

MeSci, Wits_End, Yessica and 11 others like this.
  2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw!
    Horrific! Why would they do that?
    I wonder what compensation will be offered when (& it is likely when, not if) some of them get long covid?

MeSci, Skycloud, FMMM1 and 13 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

no compensation will be offered because governments colluded with vaccine manufacturers to protect them from legal claims .so any person harmed by this would have to sue the government directly i do not see that working out well for someone with m e a 10 year plus legal fight with government so called experts saying it down to unhelpful beliefs so much for medical ethics and human rights .

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are, apparently, according to an interview with an 18 year old on BBC News 24 this morning, not being paid, but are receiving £4000 'compensation' for the 17 days they will be isolated.

Apparently this is to ensure that they get the right quality of applicants or something, I tuned out when he started trying to justify why £4000 wasn't being paid, it was 'compensation'.

ETA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56097088

So the info given in the interview this morning was less than totally accurate.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it was to speed up vaccine manufacture: it was presented as being under controlled conditions to find out things such as how much viral load you actually need to become ill, and how the virus behaves from the time it is contracted. Also, I thought ethical approval was still to be forthcoming. But none the less, I was shocked.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone dies as a result of this, I'm sure it will be remembered for a long time...

alktipping, MeSci, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Deaths will be remembered, chronic illness perhaps not so much ....

8. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

(Re-)infection of patients, who have or haven't had, COVID, with COVID

Not sure how to post this - not sure if the link is relevant as it comes from this page:

Covid: Delhi lockdown begins amid concerns over India variant - BBC News

(There are other bits of news on the same page)

Posted at 8:258:25

Challenge trial aims to understand immune response to coronavirus - scientist

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

As we’ve heard, healthy volunteers in the UK who have previously had Covid-19 are going to be deliberately exposed to again in a new study.

Helen McShane, a professor of vaccinology at the University of Oxford, is leading the so-called human challenge trial and says it will aim to understand how the immune response to an infection protects people against a second infection.

“One of the things we can determine with this study is how long that protection lasts,” she tells BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“We can then use that info to develop vaccines more quickly.”

The trial will recruit volunteers aged 18-30, who are “very healthy” and who are “at the lowest possible risk of any serious consequences”.

They will be given the “lowest possible dose of the virus”, McShane says, in quarantine, where they will be watched for two weeks.

There will be multiple follow-ups with the volunteers during the following year.

She says another study at Imperial College London started a few weeks ago deliberately infecting people who have never had an infection.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2021
    Wyva likes this.
  9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023