COVID-19: When It Leaves Us Voiceless and Powerless, 2024, Yee et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

COVID-19: When It Leaves Us Voiceless and Powerless
    Farah Tan Li Yee; Arvind Rajagopalan; David Teo Choon Liang

Conversion disorder—called functional neurological symptom disorder in the DSM-5—has roots that trace back to antiquity. The term conversion, originating from psychoanalysis, signifies the appearance of physical symptoms as an effort to resolve or convey unconscious and distressing intrapsychic conflicts— “converting” them from manifesting in the mind to manifesting in the body. Despite efforts made in elucidating the neurobiological etiologies of functional neurological symptom disorder, a psychodynamic lens remains indispensable in understanding the patient.

This article presents two patients who developed functional neurological symptom disorder, one after a COVID-19 vaccination and one in the context of long COVID. A discussion follows on the intrapersonal, interpersonal, and systemic etiological factors that predispose, precipitate, and perpetuate COVID-related functional neurological symptom disorder. We elaborate on psychodynamic psychological processes and conflicts that may unfold between patients with COVID-related functional neurological symptom disorder and their health care providers. We also share suggestions on how a consultation-liaison psychiatry team may offer support to the primary treating team to facilitate a therapeutic space within which patients with COVID-related functional neurological symptom disorder may recover.

Link | PDF (Psychodynamic Psychiatry)

2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't access this paper, but the abstract suggests "conversion disorder" continues to live its best life.

3. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

Paying 25 dollars for something that would probably make me angry, no thanks.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rarely has a bad idea survived for this long, to the point where it can arc between antiquity and the space age and the rise of AI. It's really impressive. In a bad way, but still.

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It starts from a place of deep prejudice, so it's not surprising it's alive and kicking.

In my early teens I actually thought I'd witness the end of the racism, homophobia and misogyny we saw in older people. We thought the work our generation was doing to understand biases and fight against structural prejudice would eventually succeed. Quite sweet, really, when you look back.

rvallee, Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.