Daily energy expenditure through the human life course, 2021, Pontzer et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Total daily energy expenditure (“total expenditure”) reflects daily energy needs and is a critical variable in human health and physiology, but its trajectory over the life course is poorly studied. We analyzed a large, diverse database of total expenditure measured by the doubly labeled water method for males and females aged 8 days to 95 years. Total expenditure increased with fat-free mass in a power-law manner, with four distinct life stages. Fat-free mass–adjusted expenditure accelerates rapidly in neonates to ~50% above adult values at ~1 year; declines slowly to adult levels by ~20 years; remains stable in adulthood (20 to 60 years), even during pregnancy; then declines in older adults. These changes shed light on human development and aging and should help shape nutrition and health strategies across the life span.

Paywall, https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6556/808

Journal summary of study.

Summary

Metabolism is not just about energy—how the body handles nutrient fuel and converts it to useable energetic currency. Metabolism also encompasses synthesis, modification, and exchange of the building blocks for all aspects of cellular function and acts as a sensor and regulator of cellular activities, in which individual moieties within metabolic pathways influence cellular responses. A substantial amount of the energy taken in each day is required to simply sustain life; the energetic demands of physical activity are superimposed on a vastly integrated machinery. Metabolic status has been linked to innumerable diseases and disorders, including those most prevalent with age (13). On page 808 of this issue, Pontzer et al. (4) analyze energy expenditure in more than 6400 males and females from 29 countries across the globe, aged between 8 days and 95 years, and show distinct metabolic phases during development and aging.

Paywall, https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6556/738

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Louie41 and Michelle like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Metabolism peaks at age one and tanks after 60, study finds

"Middle-aged spread cannot be blamed on a waning metabolism, according to an unprecedented analysis of the body's energy use.

The study, of 6,400 people, from eight days old up to age 95, in 29 countries, suggests the metabolism remains "rock solid" throughout mid-life.

It peaks at the age of one, is stable from 20 to 60 and then inexorably declines.

Researchers said the findings gave surprising new insights about the body."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58186710

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Louie41 and InitialConditions like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

How does this give surprising new insights when it's what's already being taught? Am I missing something? Except the pregnancy thing, depending on how far along the pregnancy has come we typically add 50-500kcal/day to a woman's energy needs.

Snow Leopard, Louie41 and Michelle like this.
  6. InitialConditions

Many people believe metabolism ramps up in teenage years, peaks in 20s, and declines from 30s, as has been taught in the past. This study disproves this.

Amw66, Wyva, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In order for a person to be able to "do things" their body needs to be able to supply energy at a rate over and above what is demanded by its own life-support systems. Vaguely akin to the way an idling engine in a car is consuming energy even when the car is stationary. More power is required in order to do anything more than that.

8. Midnattsol

I don't recall seeing this in my mother's old books for when she became a nurse either, but that could simply be because they didn't contain much information about energy requirements at all (it may differ between countries). I do recall my grandmother's old books from the 1940s explaining how to feed a family had some points on it though.

But again, I don't see this as "news". It's been the curriculum in nutrition for a while already. Nice to see the use of double labeleld water in a large study though :)

9. InitialConditions

Google "does metabolism slow down with age"

Then look at the results, as well as the sample answers from the "People Also Ask" section. Every answer from every webpage would be wrong according to this study, e.g., https://www.saltlakeregional.org/newsroom/2017-01-20/how-your-metabolism-changes-you-age and https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/why-metabolism-slows-as-you-age

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Amw66, Wyva, Louie41 and 4 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

After reading the study, it seems to me they are looking at the energy requirement of pregnant women without taking the energy requirements of the growing fetus into account. Ie, they wanted to see if being pregnant changed the base metabolic rate of the woman. Generally, the extra food we advice pregnant women to eat is to allow the fetus to grow and for her to carry the extra weight around, which again is in line with the new study.
    The salt lake regional news is in line with this new study, that a change in body composition and physical activity level changes your energy requirements.

The piedmont case takes some numbers out of thin air, I've never heard of this 10% drop in metabolism every decade before. It's also unclear what they mean by "the rate at which we break down food" and "metabolism" at all. If it is physical activity and total energy expenditure (as so many articles include how long you have to be active to burn off a snack)? That could quite easily decrease from being a 20-something to a 50-something. It would of course vary from person to person, and as noted in the recent study there is large interindividual differences.

11. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was puzzled about this with regards to women going through the menopause who often put on weight. I was one of them and I put an enormous amount of weight on within 6 months to the extent that people who knew me thought I was pregnant. This was 20 years ago but I recall it well as it was quite embarrassing - I worked on a mobile library and at least 3 of my regulars put their foot in it. I was eating the same foods and doing the same things.....

In retrospect I believe in my case that it was the beginning of my thyroid problems. I had been underactive and on thyroxine for a few years but I think it stopped working for me but I didn't realise it for some years. ie my body could not convert the T4 to T3 in my body. I am on T3 only now, but it's controversial and the need is not recognised by many endocrinologists.

So this study is saying that metabolism remains stable, but I am betting that for many women it just doesn't because of the thyroid factor which is very common in women in middle age in particular.