Depressive inclinations mediate the association between personality (neuroticism/conscientiousness) and TikTok Use Disorder tendencies, 2024

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Background
    We introduce a novel measure for assessing TikTok overuse, called the TikTok Use Disorder-Questionnaire (TTUD-Q). As part of ongoing investigations into the suitability of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) framework for diagnosing Gaming Disorder in the context of social media overuse, we developed this questionnaire by adapting the WHO framework, replacing the term “gaming” with “TikTok use”.

Methods
    In order to address this question, we investigated the psychometric properties of the newly designed TTUD-Q and assessed its associations with the BFI-10 (assessing the Big Five of Personality) and the PHQ-8 (assessing depressive tendencies).

Results
    In this study, involving a final sample of 378 participants, we observed that higher levels of neuroticism were linked to greater tendencies toward TikTok Use Disorder (TTUD). Furthermore, we identified that this association was mediated by depressive tendencies. Similar trends emerged when investigating the relationship between lower levels of conscientiousness and higher TTUD tendencies, with depressive tendencies once again serving as a mediator.

Discussion
    Our research sets the foundation for future studies that should delve deeper into examining individual differences in TTUD using the WHO framework originally designed for Gaming Disorder.

https://bmcpsychology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40359-024-01541-y

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TikTok cats light up my day.

Arnie Pye, EzzieD, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's just embarrassing.

Arnie Pye, rvallee, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm too neurotic to use Tik-Tok

Hutan, Arnie Pye, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That TTDU-Q - Google translation from German:

The questions below relate to your TikTok activity over the past year (more precisely, based on the last twelve months). Please indicate how frequently following problems on average over the last twelve months up to today days occurred.

1. I've had trouble controlling my TikTok activity.

2. I give TikTok activities increasing priority over other life interests and assigned daily activities.

3. I continued to engage in TikTok activities despite negative consequences arose (e.g. in a relationship, studies or job).

4. I have significant issues in my life because of the strength of my TikTok Experience activities.

EzzieD, oldtimer, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

No doubt there will soon be a 'disorder' for those of us who don't have an account on any of these sites (Tik-Tok, Xitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit,...), which will be associated with something declared by an expert to be a psychosocial pathology.

Hutan, Arnie Pye, Spartacus and 6 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Funny that no one diagnosed me with a music disorder when I was young, despite spending all my time and money on it and throwing sickies to attend gigs.

My housemate didn't have a rugby disorder, despite losing jobs for turning up with black eyes or missing teeth after playing, or hungover after winning.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, the old "everything I don't like is bad" thing. People used to say the same thing about reading newspapers and women riding bicycles.

What's next, a questionnaire to assess the neurotic, or whatever no one cares, tendencies of people inclined to overuse BS questionnaires and interpret them however they feel like? With a primary outcome of "how many inkblots can you fit on a Meyers-Briggs questionnaire and how they relate to your mother's astrological homeopathic quotient?"

Hutan, Arnie Pye, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See also Guardian: Young people becoming less happy than older generations, research shows

Nothing to do with housing crisis, extreme wealth inequality, environmental destruction etc etc.

Edit: Huh, the article actually even says this a little lower down —

Hutan, Mij, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  10. Sean

Any young person who is not seriously concerned about the future that the older generations have left them is delusional.

Hutan, Arnie Pye, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  11. rvallee

Blaming social media is such a cheap cop-out and it makes no sense. It doesn't even appear like they asked why. Generally when people do it's because they are better-informed than previous generations, and that's just the same old nonsense blaming newspapers and books. Before that it was probably papyrus or stone tablets.

Do they even know what they're asking for here? What does "regulating" social media even mean?
    Because this is not regulating social media, it's just dumb and will never happen.

There is a well-known saying about this:
    And we are currently in a weird phase of hard times and weak people in charge, where medicine has become self-obsessed over getting people to be child-like worry-free "mindful", focused on "therapeutic recreation" and other nonsense that completely ignore and neglect real problems, making everything unnecessarily harder, especially in the future while literally spreading the lie that infectious diseases are good for you.

Sane youth see this and see plainly that the people in charge don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, like seeing the captain of your ship drunk out of his mind and aiming for the iceberg.

Not to mention the completely mishandled pandemic that killed millions, disabled tens of millions, and has basically been met with a "Eva Braun in the bunker" reaction, getting people to dance and drink merrily, from the same profession that has seemingly fallen for pseudoscience worse than any before in history.

Youth better be worried about the future. Being informed about it is realistic and sane.

Hutan, Mij, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can see, it means regulating kids. By people who've forgotten that normal, obsessive kids have a habit of growing into normal, wised-up adults. It'll always be dangerous to be young and inexperienced, whether the harm is from world wars, institutional abuse cultures, or online predators.

I'll wager £5 and a jam doughnut that some of the same people maundering on about regulating social media think it's justifiable to criminalise young people protesting about credible threats to their future, because they're organised, gobby, and an inconvenience. (ETA: presumably they've forgotten the 1960s and 70s.)

Hutan, rvallee, Mij and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean

It's the written word, printing press, radio, movies, TV, videos, internet, social media. :nailbiting:

Hutan, Kitty, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't remember the circumstances now, but I do remember telling a doctor once that I didn't have a Facebook account and their response was "Why not?".

Hutan, Kitty, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For a good while it was reading novels. When I was a child I knew several adults who had not been permitted to read any fiction books before teatime when children. And more recently I knew families where reading novels was not permitted on the Sabbath.

Hutan, Kitty, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I suggest all CBT “researchers” immediately turn their attention to the urgent issue of social media addiction where their abilities can be put to much better use than trying to reprogramme chronically ill people.

Hutan, Arnie Pye, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. rvallee

Just as ineffective at it, but largely harmless? I like it.

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Related — Nature Book Reviews: The great rewiring: is social media really behind an epidemic of teenage mental illness?
    Candice Odgers

Reviewing "The Anxious Generation: How the Great Rewiring of Childhood is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness" Jonathan Haidt (2024)