Determinants of the maximal functional reserve during repeated supramaximal exercise by humans: The roles of Nrf2/Keap1... 2023 Galvan-Alvarez et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Determinants of the maximal functional reserve during repeated supramaximal exercise by humans: The roles of Nrf2/Keap1, antioxidant proteins, muscle phenotype and oxygenation

Abstract

When high-intensity exercise is performed until exhaustion a “functional reserve” (FR) or capacity to produce power at the same level or higher than reached at exhaustion exists at task failure, which could be related to reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (RONS)-sensing and counteracting mechanisms. Nonetheless, the magnitude of this FR remains unknown. Repeated bouts of supramaximal exercise at 120% of VO2max interspaced with 20s recovery periods with full ischaemia were used to determine the maximal FR. Then, we determined which muscle phenotypic features could account for the variability in functional reserve in humans.

Exercise performance, cardiorespiratory variables, oxygen deficit, and brain and muscle oxygenation (near-infrared spectroscopy) were measured, and resting muscle biopsies were obtained from 43 young healthy adults (30 males). Males and females had similar aerobic (VO2max per kg of lower extremities lean mass (LLM): 166.7 ± 17.1 and 166.1 ± 15.6 ml kg LLM−1.min−1, P = 0.84) and anaerobic fitness (similar performance in the Wingate test and maximal accumulated oxygen deficit when normalized to LLM). The maximal FR was similar in males and females when normalized to LLM (1.84 ± 0.50 and 2.05 ± 0.59 kJ kg LLM−1, in males and females, respectively, P = 0.218).

This FR depends on an obligatory component relying on a reserve in glycolytic capacity and a putative component generated by oxidative phosphorylation. The aerobic component depends on brain oxygenation and phenotypic features of the skeletal muscles implicated in calcium handling (SERCA1 and 2 protein expression), oxygen transport and diffusion (myoglobin) and redox regulation (Keap1). The glycolytic component can be predicted by the protein expression levels of pSer40-Nrf2, the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit and the protein expression levels of SOD1. Thus, an increased capacity to modulate the expression of antioxidant proteins involved in RONS handling and calcium homeostasis may be critical for performance during high-intensity exercise in humans.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231723002604

Sean, SNT Gatchaman, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks interesting…

SNT Gatchaman likes this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is good to see specified in the methods —

4. SNT Gatchaman

This looks like a really well done study and a great write up. From a subjective view it looks very relevant to my (our?) experience. The pathological fatigue feels like that experienced at "task failure" following maximal exertion prior to illness. In that state there does feel like a functional reserve - albeit very limited. This can presumably be (mis)interpreted as "no actual pathology" as you can push-through — which we learn not to do quite early on, despite no/contrary advice.

I'll be interested in expert comments on the muscle/vascular physiology, but I'd like to highlight this aspect, as it has never felt to me anything like a central/CNS block —

That is the total MFR - ie both the aerobic and anaerobic components. This would leave 3% over for other things, eg myosin heavy chain variance (0.3%)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    sneyz, Andy, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Funnily enough I was talking with my wife about how I feel, and I was describing that, even before I do anything else, I feel a lack of a large part of my energy, which in itself is a weird thing to me - 40 years ill and I still feel as if I am missing energy, I would have thought I would have got used to that feeling by now. So to me, continually feeling as if I have experienced "task failure" seems to come close to my experience.

Wonko, SNT Gatchaman and Trish like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

For a detailed review article of the Keap1-Nrf2 axis, with Nrf2 as a "master regulator of cellular defense mechanisms" see —

The KEAP1-NRF2 System: a Thiol-Based Sensor-Effector Apparatus for Maintaining Redox Homeostasis (2018, Physiological Reviews)