Still to open Discovering Trends in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients' Clinical Study Experiences, Power Life Sciences Inc., California

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Study Overview

Brief Summary

The study seeks to delve into the firsthand experiences of patients diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome who partake in a separate clinical trial featuring a specific medical intervention. The primary emphasis will be on meticulously tracking the rates of trial completion and withdrawal among these individuals.

The data collected from this study will help improve future outcomes for all chronic fatigue syndrome patients as well as those in under-represented demographic groups.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05967494

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Why is it still being called 'chronic fatigue syndrome'? Is that a bad sign?

Hutan, duncan, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's good that someone is studying the processes of clinical trials. A clear list of known flaws will help people to judge future trials. Published papers could have a "flaws rating" included. Of course, unethical researchers will invent new flaws to exploit.

Sean, alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep.

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could not find this company's website.

DokaGirl likes this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(@duncan https://www.withpower.com/about/michael-gill)

from the consent form

It isn't made clear what if any separate study this study is evaluating. Or is it enrolment in any separate study?

The first of three references submitted is —

The effectiveness of cupping therapy on chronic fatigue syndrome: A single-blind randomized controlled trial (2020, Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice)

Hutan, DokaGirl, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The consent form is something else —

Affirmation of Informed Consent

With utmost assurance, I confirm that I have devoted ample time to thoroughly read and comprehend the entire contents of the informed consent form, either independently or with the invaluable support of a trusted individual who diligently read it to me. Each of my queries and uncertainties has been thoughtfully addressed to my absolute satisfaction.

I am unequivocally cognizant that my engagement in this study is entirely voluntary, granting me the liberty to withdraw my consent at any juncture, devoid of any obligation to furnish a rationale or encounter any financial encumbrance. Equally significant, I have been duly apprised that a copy of this informed consent form will be furnished for my personal record-keeping.

Following meticulous contemplation and contemplative introspection on all the disseminated information, I wholeheartedly bestow my consent to participate in this study, driven purely by my own volition.​

EzzieD, Michelle, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, DokaGirl, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That consent form has to have been written by either an AI bot in training, or maybe a subversive performance artiste.

EzzieD, Michelle, duncan and 5 others like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So With Power or Power is a patient recruitment site for clinical trials. Kind of a dating site: you can post your disease and its stage or other nomenclature and "looking for a clinical trial for x disease". Post a photo, even.

With Power seems to be a middle man between the patient-potential recruit and the big pharma sponsor of the clinical trial. I assume that the sponsor pays With Power per patient recruited via their site.

duncan, Hutan and Trish like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like they have got Charles Dickens on the writing

Hutan, Sean, EzzieD and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Surely it's a spoof. No one could seriously write that way.