1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Bath paediatric CFS/Fatigue clinic - Esther Crawley; Phil Hammond

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Dx Revision Watch, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

was thinking about the possible move from PEM to PESE issue today and have mixed feelings as PESE doesn't really mean anything unless clinicians know what all the symptoms are. ie not just fatigue.

JemPD, Sean, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless things have changed significantly recently - & they might have thanks to covid - a lot of docs have no idea what PEM is anyway.

A few years back when talking to a GP about something else I mentioned PEM. Then asked him if he knew what PEM was, he didn't. When I explained he said he'd never even heard of it before.

It's a real shame I ended up moving home and therefore surgeries. This guy didn't have any special interest in ME but was open to learning more.

Yvonne, Sean, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At one point White said that PACE looked at CFS, not ME. They say whatever they need at any time.

Joel, Starlight, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's also confusing because it suggests exacerbation of symptoms that were present pre exertion but doesn't allow that the exertion may produce symptoms that are specific to the post exertion state, i.e symptoms weren't there before the exertion and only occurred following the exertion. PEM at least has the merit of being non specific about symptoms or the relation of symptoms pre and post exertion.

5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point, if I overexert I get a whole new gamut of symptoms.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes. For me at the milder end of moderate I don’t constantly experience sensory overload but it can appear post or during overexertion.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Michelle like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I vaguely remember that Hammond's Private Eye articles are usually not so bad. Then he goes and writes horrendous drivel somewhere else. I wonder if there's a reason for that?

Ariel, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could be mind-body interaction?

Ariel, JohnTheJack, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  9. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me it's always been about bringing on 'the worst of the worst'.

NelliePledge and rvallee like this.
  10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird, my knowledge of virus is limited but they basically need to get into your cells ("key" if you like) and then use the host cell to replicate the virus --- via the viral DNA/RNA ---- virus don't invade the mind, just the cells they can replicate in!
    The mind thing is no more relevant than it is in any other illness ---- telling a patient that you have a disabling illness and we don't current know how to treat it may well have a psychological effect, but it's an effect common to all illnesses ---- not just ME/CFS.

Dr Phil Hammond:
    "A virus doesn't distinguish between mind and body, and neither should we. No chronic illness is ever all in the mind or all in the body; they are interwoven. Conveniently for the government, brain fog and poor memory are common consequences of post-viral illness."

Barry, MSEsperanza, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty dumb really. True, hurt does not necessarily equal harm, but that in no way absolves people from properly checking that it actually is not. I detest the way these people very consciously exploit the ambiguity of their language.

Joel, Solstice, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychological hurt can significantly harm

Solstice, MEMarge, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  13. Barry

Of course.

Solstice and Invisible Woman like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think any healthcare professional in this field who claims "hurt does not equal harm" should have to provide proper evidence.

How do they know? Is there any way of telling up front who will merely be hurt and who harmed?

Exactly what definition of hurt do they use and what definition of harm? Are these definitions meaningful to their patients or their patients' guardians?

What safeguards are in place - especially by way of long term follow ups - to ensure that what appeared to be hurt at the time wasn't actually the early signs of harms?

Edit -spelling

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Solstice, MEMarge, Chezboo and 7 others like this.
  15. Mithriel

My husband is a virologist. The forum is no place to put his reaction to someone who could say this especially when he realised it was a doctor not a journalist :)

alktipping, Arvo, Wyva and 15 others like this.
  16. Mithriel

This is another way they are presenting us as timid children who won't take their medicine. We can tell the difference between a procedure that makes us hurt for a few days and one which causes a deterioration of our illness.

Doctors who actually interact with ME patients speak about how stoic their patients can be. Workwell said the healthy controls complained about the CPET testing (even though they did it) but said the patients would have crawled across hot coals to get an answer.

alktipping, Lidia, Joel and 13 others like this.
  17. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Mithriel and Barry like this.
  18. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes indeed.

I know there has been much speculation about about PH’s behaviours. A professional troll or terrifically ignorant?

On the off chance or perhaps hope of the latter, the last two decades people have been very publicly endeavouring to explain some stuff to him.

So with that in mind I do hope this example clears it all up for everyone.

alktipping and Mithriel like this.
  19. Barry

I think Hammond may have a random-sentence-generator app.

alktipping, Joel, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  20. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to make sense of that, but still don't know what he's trying to say.