1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Ron Davis - Updates on ME/CFS research - September 2019 onwards

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by John Mac, Sep 26, 2019.

1. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, dan6000, Perrier and 4 others like this.
  2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is the auto generated transcript for the Ron Davis section from YouTube for those unable to watch. Sorry that I'm not up to cleaning it up

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if they couldn't apply to get this new bit of kit fast-tracked as being of use for Covid-19 research?
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/us-house-action-and-covid-leg-package-update.15120/

FMMM1, ahimsa, wigglethemouse and 2 others like this.
  4. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An update on current research posted on Whitney's Facebook page:

- Rahim Esfandyarpour has recruited new grad students to work on the nanoneedle, this "will speed things up considerably"
    - Ron Davis is "working on a way to prevent the allergic reaction [from copaxone, the MS drug] but still provide the benefit"
    - Ron Davis "will be conducting clinical trials on these drugs [copaxone, SS31, suramine]" but urges patients not to try them on their own
    - The new "board design [for the nanoneedle] was sent to both China and US manufacturers to fabricate", but they're shut down, delays are unknown.
    - Ron Davis has "looked into mycotoxins" but "says the current tests are not very sensitive or accurate and may give false results which isn't useful", so he's "develop[ing] a more sensitive and accurate test and will then start checking patients"

Moderator note: This post has been copied and some posts moved to this thread:
    Messages from Whitney Dafoe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
    Samuel, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 20 others like this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for the summary!!

MEMarge, Kitty, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought there were 4 candidates, glatiramer (Copaxone), SS31, suramin and SS19.

I have not heard about any wide-spread allergic reactions to Copaxone other than from Rachel. But of the folks I have heard of who have tried glatiramer, it has been unsuccessful for treating MECFS.

I'm guessing the glatiramer work entails narrowing down the peptide/polypeptide mix in Copaxone to identify the active ingredient in the mix. I wonder how many different peptides/polypeptides there are in Copaxone or in the generics?

Kitty, sebaaa, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Jaybee00

New MECFS theory.....hmmm— maybe not the metabolic trap.....

Yessica, Webdog, Legend and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaybee00

I guess I was hoping that he could give a 30 second overview of this new theory, even if not tested, fully vetted or published.

sebaaa, Nellie, Legend and 2 others like this.
  10. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my. So much noise! Not a ME/CFS friendly video with that chainsaw in the background. I didn't get his message, and had to stop watching after a couple minutes.

Edit: It was better to watch on my computer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    MEMarge, sebaaa, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what he said about the "new theory." [starts at 2:44 in the video]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    ScottTriGuy, JaneL, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are developping a new covid-19 assay based on saliva (currently results in 40minutes) so that when the lab reopens they can regularly test staff.
    The 'new' nanoneedle circuit has been designed(which will allow them to process about 100 samples simultaneously) and they are awaiting its production both in the US and China.

On the covid-19 project they are going to be using samples from patients who have been to hospital.

Michelle, JaneL, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

J.G, ScottTriGuy, JaneL and 15 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be honest, those mentions make me feel less confident in the the theory, rather than more confident...

15. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too :(

16. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad it’s not just me, this kind of marketing nonsense just doesn’t help.

Marky, Alton, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  17. Jaybee00

Might be some intellectual property issues.

Also if he is saying that they will use an existing start-up company, I think that is better than starting up a brand new company to do this project. It could take a while to get things going if they are making a brand new company.

FMMM1, sebaaa, Daisymay and 2 others like this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pure speculation:

In the past, they've talked about testing to see if adding various drugs could alter the nanoneedle results. Perhaps they've seen some result that has led to a "new theory."

This could tie in to why they want to run nanoneedle tests on 100 aliquots from a single sample, i.e. they want to test 100 different drugs, or drug concentrations, against the same sample simultaneously.

Again, just a wild guess.

MEMarge, sb4, obeat and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jaybee00

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2020
    FMMM1, John Mac, Robert 1973 and 6 others like this.
  20. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“The nanoneedle’s inability to keep up with the demand meant that its full potential wasn’t nearly being reached. A dramatic upgrade was needed.

That has happened. The nanoneedle has been redesigned and sent to a manufacturer in China and one in the US to produce. Where it could test one sample and one control at a time, it can now test 100. That kind of production is essential for the nanoneedle to be able to test the wide variety of drugs Davis wants to test, and to run the multiple samples needed to try to uncover the mystery element that seems to be bollixing things up in the blood of ME/CFS patients.

Davis is waiting for the return of the new nanoneedle – and the ability to test patient samples again. Unfortunately, production has been halted due to the pandemic. Only recently, has the Chinese company that could make been reopened, but there is no set delivery date. Still, it’s on its way.”

interesting update. I think the nano needle finding it is one of the most interesting out there and it’s been frustrating that the Stanford team hasn’t been able to press on with their work. Hopefully, this will now change.

I would also love to see research into the cell biology changes that presumably account for the Nanoneedle findings during the salt stress test.

Also, I love that bolded line.

Yessica, Marky, MEMarge and 17 others like this.