Public Each human gut has a viral fingerprint

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Amw66, Aug 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Legend, Forbin, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's interesting that they are able to identify about 33,000 different viruses in the gut. I'm guessing any individual would have a fraction of the that number. They say that 97.7% of those viruses only infect the bacteria in the gut, thereby influencing the bacterial diversity and proportions - so most of these viruses are technically not infecting humans, but rather are infecting the bacteria in the human gut.

There is a technology called "VirScan" which can apparently identify which out of about 1000 different viruses a human has been infected with over a lifetime. It provides a sort of a viral history (though I doubt it can tell you the order in which, let alone how long ago, you were infected with a particular virus). The technique identifies antibodies as opposed to the actual viruses.

It's currently a research tool, so you can't yet go and get tested for your "viral history." One interesting study using VirScan discovered that a measles infection can actually "erase" about 40% of your prior viral history (in one case it erased as much as 73% of that history). I imagine it does this by somehow stopping antibody production. The blog below says that this may explain why kids seem to get a lot of other viral infections in the wake of a bad case of measles (i.e. measles wiped out their prior immunity to those viruses).

Dr. Francis Collins blogged about this here last November (2019).
    https://directorsblog.nih.gov/tag/virscan/

ETA: VirScan only needs a microliter of blood, which is something like 1/50th of a drop of blood.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Trish, EzzieD, Legend and 2 others like this.