Thesis Eccentrically Induced Skeletal Muscle Damage in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome CFS, With Reference to Overtrained Athletes, 1995, Wright

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 14, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eccentrically Induced Skeletal Muscle Damage in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome CFS, With Reference to Overtrained Athletes
    David L. Wright

Bachelor of Applied Science (Sports Science) with Honours: Faculty of Science and Technology, Edith Cowan University

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and Overtraining syndrome (OTS) are separate, complex conditions which have so many similar debilitating effects that it has led some researchers to conclude that OTS is a sub-condition of CFS. The purpose of this research was to compare the force and damage-recovery characteristics of skeletal muscle in CFS patients and control normals, after a single damaging bout of eccentric contractions in the non-dominant forearm flexors.

The subjects (n = 25), a convenience sample were assigned to three groups; [1] CFS + eccentric damage (n = 8), [2] Control Damage (CD) + eccentric damage (n = 10), and [3] Control (ND) + no damage (n = 7). The research was carried out over a four week period using the following format. CFS & CD groups received eccentrically induced muscle damage of the forearm flexors by 35 isokinetic eccentric (7 x 5, 2 minutes recovery between sets) contractions at 90° sec-I with the forearm returning passively at 15°sec-1.

Testing was undertaken pre-damage and 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, & 28 days post-damage, by measurements of voluntary maximal concentric isokinetic force at l 50°sec-l, isometric maximal voluntary contraction at approximately 90° elbow flexion, electrically stimulated 20 : 50Hz isometric force ratio at approximately 90° elbow flexion, muscle pain, and blood CK. Groups were compared on these variables using Students independent t-test and repeated measures two way ANOVA with simple contrasts. Alpha was set at 0.05 level.

The results of this study were significant for the eccentric force produced in the damage bout with the CFS group producing less force after the 4th set (p < 0.05). Serum CK concentration, which following eccentric damage was significantly higher in the CFS group than the CD group (p < 0.01), and the ND group (p < 0.001). The low frequency fatigue (LFF) ratio was significantly lower in the CFS group 2, 4, 6 & 8 days post-damage when compared to the CD group. Maximal isometric voluntary force and isokinetic concentric peak torque (PT) & average peak torque (AT) loss was significantly greater in the CFS group compared to the CD group (isometric p < 0.01, PT p < 0.01; & AT p < 0.001) and ND group (isometric p < 0.01; PT p < 0.001; & AT p < 0.001).

The intensity of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) was significantly less 6 days post-damage in the CFS group, when compared to the CD group (p < 0.05).

The combination of an increased CK efflux and low frequency fatigue, that is of both greater depth and longer lasting, together with greater isometric and concentric force losses, indicates that the subjects with CFS have a lower threshold for muscular damage, that is more profound and slower to recover than in healthy individuals.

Link (Thesis, open access)

Hutan, Medfeb, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

Hutan, MeSci, Trish and 3 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 3.21.19 PM Large.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 3.22.10 PM Large.jpeg

Hutan, Trish, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

Hutan, Trish, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

Hutan, livinglighter, Trish and 4 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

I came across this 1995 thesis when I was trying to reconcile evidence of muscle necrosis against evidence of no CK rise, or even reduced CK. I searched but couldn't find it referenced on S4ME or PR. It looks like a useful study, made more remarkable by the fact that it's nearly 30 years old and done at Bachelor's level.

Hutan, sebaaa, livinglighter and 8 others like this.
  7. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great find, could be valuable if someone shared this with the team of Rob Wüst, perhaps they haven't seen it either.

Hutan, Trish and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

Along with this, LC biopsy data from earlier this year and another older paper, I've gone to speculation town here.

Hutan, Trish and EndME like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for finding this. I had a quick skim read through the thesis and am impressed by the quality of the study and interesting findings. As he points out in the concluding discussion, the differences found may be a consequence of the controls not being well matched with the CFS group, since the CFS group were recruited from the local community, and the controls were mostly sports science staff and students, so likely to be much fitter and mostly younger.

I think the setup and method of carrying out the exercise study with all sorts of instruments to ensure everyone had the same physical task and measurements was impressive. I guess that's the big advantage of doing such studies in sports science labs where they have this sort of equipment.

Also doing a study just using repetitive exercises on a single muscle, the biceps in the non dominant arm may be less likely to cause PEM than CPET testing, so more likely to be acceptable for ME/CFS patients practically and ethically.

I wonder whether the tests have been repeated in larger groups with properly matched controls. It seems worth suggesting to researchers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Like you I was particularly struck by the difference in pain intensity reported by the two groups which makes Wessely and his chums characterisation of people with ME/CFS's reports of pain as hysteria particularly judgemental and wrong.

Another thing that struck me was the literature review the student did which showed that around the late 1980's and early 90's there was active research on biology of ME/CFS in the UK which as far as I know was pretty much killed off by the Wessely/White/Sharpe psychosomatic hypothesis and burying ME/CFS with PEM in the wider Oxford criteria that explicitly also included people with fatigue due to a depression, anxiety, hyperventilation, any unexplained fatigue as well as post infectious fatigue. I've been getting more interested in the early history around 1990 again as result of trying to write something about the Cochrane review and harms. It seems more and more evident that the Oxford was a huge and deliberate step backwards for ME/CFS research and hijacking of ME/CFS by psychiatrists.

Getting back to this study, another striking thing is the rationale given for including overtraining syndrome among athletes as a subset of CFS.
    I came across this idea a couple of years ago when two different researchers who had been doing CPET studies surprised each other in the question time at an IACFSME conference with both having independently of each other come up with the idea of a parallel with overtraining syndrome. It's like science keeps having to rediscover old ideas.

Hutan, sebaaa, rvallee and 7 others like this.