Effects of spaceflight on the brain, 2024, Seidler et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 20, 2024 at 11:16 PM.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Effects of spaceflight on the brain
    Rachael D Seidler; Xiao Wen Mao; Grant D Tays; Tianyi Wang; Peter zu Eulenburg

SUMMARY
    The number of long duration human spaceflights has increased substantially over the past 15 years, leading to the discovery of numerous effects on the CNS. Microgravity results in headward fluid shifts, ventricular expansion, an upward shift of the brain within the skull, and remodelling of grey and white matter. The fluid changes are correlated with changes to perivascular space and spaceflight associated neuro-ocular syndrome. Microgravity alters the vestibular processing of head tilt and results in reduced tactile and proprioceptive inputs during spaceflight. Sensory adaptation is reflected in postflight effects, evident as transient sensorimotor impairment. Another major concern is that galactic cosmic radiation, which spacefarers will be exposed to when going beyond the magnetosphere around Earth, might have a negative effect on CNS function. Research with rodents points to the potential disruptive effects of space radiation on blood–brain barrier integrity and brain structures. More work is needed to understand and mitigate these effects on the CNS before humans travel to Mars, as the flight durations will be longer than anyone has previously experienced.

Link | PDF (The Lancet Neurology)

Mij, Haveyoutriedyoga, Turtle and 3 others like this.
  2. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

I can't access the paper.
    A bleak picture for Mars missions. Maybe ME/CFS/LC researchers and space researchers could compare notes and hopefully meet in the middle.
    Getting fluids not too much up in space and not too much down in mere earthlings with ME/CFS/LC would be great for all of us.
    Why are fluids sinking to the bottom, legs and abdomen? Can't be that many possibilities.

I studied my legs and I think there's more sinking down than blood.
    After lying down my legs look old. Varicose veins are "empty", like a dried up riverbed, lines drawn inward.
    My calf hangs down beneaeth the tibula when lifted. On the bottom what's left of the muscles. Between the muscles on the bottom of the calf and the tibula there seems to be "nothing".
    When I'm standing my calf is solid around both sides of the tibula, like a balloon. Looking sturdy and way younger.
    Varicose vein filled up but only small pieces visible.
    To me that's looks more than the effect of blood alone.