Efficacy of a Nasal Spray Containing Iota-Carrageenan in the Postexposure Prophylaxis of COVID-19 in Hospital Personnel.., 2021, Figueroa et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Binkie4, May 7, 2024.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

@Sasha
    I am unable to answer your question about sterilising vaccines but I would add that in a recent consultation with Dr Bansal, he advised that I should add in a specified nasal spray to use prophylactically in order to avoid covid as I extended my activities.This is on top of masks, distancing, etc.

edit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8493111/

I found this link to one of the components of the recommended nasal spray, Carageenan ( added).

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2024
  2. Binkie4

Thank you for enquiring about this nasal spray @Sasha.

On looking at the link above , the results looked promising. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8493111/

"In this pilot study a nasal spray with I-C showed significant efficacy in preventing COVID-19 in health care workers managing patients with COVID-19 disease."

I shall be around people more than usual soon and will buy an extra bottle so that we don't run out. Have already stocked up on test kits, masks etc.

3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

is it a brand you can buy in uk?

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  4. Binkie4

Yes. Will PM you.

Peter Trewhitt, alktipping and Ash like this.
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it was the Boots one I used I before I came down with Covid. It did take a while to develop and more than 4 days to return a positive Covid test which may be why?

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me too pls :)

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too would like to know, please.

Would be interested to find out if something similar is available in Sweden, does anyone know?

Ash, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  8. Binkie4

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  9. Binkie4

Sorry @mango. No further information.

10. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use Vicks First Defence Nasal spray but it doesn't appear to have Carrageenan in it. Perhaps I should switch to the Boots one. I tend to use it before I see people or go out (rare!) rather than on first sign of illness. Seems worth doing if it might make a difference.

Peter Trewhitt, mango and Binkie4 like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Efficacy of a Nasal Spray Containing Iota-Carrageenan in the Postexposure Prophylaxis of COVID-19 in Hospital Personnel Dedicated to Patients Care with COVID-19 Disease, 2021, Figueroa et al

Abstract
    Background
    Iota-Carrageenan (I-C) is a sulfate polysaccharide synthesized by red algae, with demonstrated antiviral activity and clinical efficacy as nasal spray in the treatment of common cold. In vitro, I-C inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection in cell culture.

Research Question
    Can a nasal spray with Iota-Carrageenan be useful in the prophylaxis of COVID-19 in health care workers managing patients with COVID-19 disease?

Study Design and Methods
    This is a pilot pragmatic multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study assessing the use of a nasal spray containing I-C in the prophylaxis of COVID-19 in hospital personnel dedicated to care of COVID-19 patients. Clinically healthy physicians, nurses, kinesiologists and other health care providers managing patients hospitalized for COVID-19 were assigned in a 1:1 ratio to receive four daily doses of I-C spray or placebo for 21 days. The primary end point was clinical COVID-19, as confirmed by reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction testing, over a period of 21 days. The trial is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT04521322).

Results
    A total of 394 individuals were randomly assigned to receive I-C or placebo. Both treatment groups had similar baseline characteristics. The incidence of COVID-19 differs significantly between subjects receiving the nasal spray with I-C (2 of 196 [1.0%]) and those receiving placebo (10 of 198 [5.0%]). Relative risk reduction: 79.8% (95% CI 5.3 to 95.4; p=0.03). Absolute risk reduction: 4% (95% CI 0.6 to 7.4).

Interpretation
    In this pilot study a nasal spray with I-C showed significant efficacy in preventing COVID-19 in health care workers managing patients with COVID-19 disease.

Ash, Peter Trewhitt and Binkie4 like this.
  12. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)