Exploring maladaptive cognitions and behaviors as perpetuating factors in patients with persistent somatic symptoms: a longitudinal study 2023 Barends

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, May 19, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Highlights
    • Maladaptive cognitions and behaviors were associated with somatic symptom severity over five-year time.

• Associations were also found for maladaptive cognitions and behaviors and reduced physical and mental functioning.

• Also, within subjects cognitions and behavior may play a role as perpetuating factors.
    Abstract

Objective

Maladaptive cognitions and behaviors may influence symptoms and impairment in patients with persistent somatic symptoms (PSS). Aims of this study were to examine: (i) whether maladaptive cognitions and behaviors are associated with symptom severity and functional health over time; (ii) if these associations are the result of changes within individuals over time or of differences between individuals; (iii) directions of changes within individuals over time.

Methods
    Longitudinal data of a heterogeneous sample of patients with PSS were analyzed (n = 322 patients enrolled in the PROSPECTS cohort study). Cognitive and behavioral responses to symptoms (CBRQ), symptom severity (PHQ-15) and physical and mental functioning (RAND-36 PCS and MCS) were assessed seven times over a five-year period (0, 6 months, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 year). Longitudinal mixed model and hybrid model analysis with and without time-lag were applied.

Results
    Maladaptive cognitions and behaviors were associated with more severe symptoms and reduced physical and mental functioning over time. Both changes within individuals over time and differences between individuals were associated with higher symptom severity and reduced physical and mental functioning. The between-subject component was about twice the effect size of the within-subject component. Changes in several specific maladaptive cognitions and behaviors were associated with more severe symptoms and reduced physical and mental functioning later in time and vice versa.

Conclusion
    This study shows that maladaptive cognitions and behaviors are associated with symptom severity and reduced physical and mental functioning over time in patients with PSS.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399923002003

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Trish like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Several ‘maladaptive’ cognitions and behaviors (e.g., catastrophizing cognitions and avoidance behavior) have been associated with higher symptom burden in pain syndromes and FSS such as chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia"

"The questionnaire was validated in the UK in both adults [24] and adolescents [42] with chronic fatigue syndrome and has priory been applied in patients with e.g., multiple sclerosis, irritable bowel syndrome [14,39,43] and undifferentiated somatoform disorders"

Milo, alktipping, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  3. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exhausting to see this pile of.... coming from the Netherlands again.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Every time I see that word "cognitions" I automatically translate it to "thoughts" as I read it. Despite looking up the definition I'm still none the wiser as to whether "thoughts" is accurate, but I don't think it is.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language :

Could someone come up with another word for "cognitions"? I tried the thesaurus and wondered which alternative other people would choose :

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/cognitions

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and shak8 like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

In this case they seem to be using cognitions to mean beliefs, and specifically faulty beliefs.

I would expect cognitions to mean a combination of knowledge, understanding and reasoning.

Here's a dictionary definition:
    cognition
    noun
    1. the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses.

alktipping, Willow, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)