Forbes: Public Pushes Back On CDC’s Plan To Weaken Infection Control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by ahimsa, Aug 27, 2023.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[I'm not sure where to post this ... it's related to COVID and pandemic but also more generally about issues with the CDC]

Public Pushes Back On CDC’s Plan To Weaken Infection Control

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judyst...back-on-cdcs-plan-to-weaken-infection-control

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so angry that the CDC is considering publishing such utter lies that I don't have a constructive response.

Edit, I picked my jaw up off the floor:
    What's informing the CDC's advice here? A rational approach might be to base recommendations on acceptably low chance of getting severe long Covid (<1%) for example. An irrational approach would be to simply stop recommending masks because nobody wants to wear them anymore. I'm pretty sure the CDC has consistently done the latter since roughly May 2021.

The CDCs job is to tell people what courses of action are healthy, not socially acceptable. They don't say medium rare is good enough because everyone eats it that way. They say to cook it to ~70 degrees.

For the record, I'm the only person I know who still masks and the only person I know who likes my meat and eggs fully cooked.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    sebaaa, SNT Gatchaman, Arvo and 7 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Somehow, it's so bad it actually reminds me of the TV series V, about alien reptiles replacing human beings, and so many humans siding with the alien reptiles. It's a common trope, not just this series.

I never thought humans could actually side with a virus, do everything to maximize its spread and harm, ensuring its long-term survival. I definitely never thought that of all people doing that, it'd be the medical profession doing the heavy lifting. It would never work without their full incitement and cooperation. It's almost some odd version of the fungus that controls ants through their brains.

We are such a weird, irrational species. And wow is everyone just winging it all the time. I'm actually amazed we aren't still drinking radioactive stuff at this point. I guess there's a threshold that can't be crossed, and viral infections are just perfect for it. Probably the visible stuff. As long as there aren't pustules and rashes, it's all good.

Also: wow did the movie Contagion get everything comically wrong. It really lacked that whole Don't look up quality to it.

SNT Gatchaman, Amw66, Arvo and 2 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who the science advisor was for the Contagion script. :rolleyes:

Ash and alktipping like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lipkin

Ash likes this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It probably made sense from the comfort of a lab and public health models.

Reality simply has a way of asserting itself that doesn't care much about those models, how people and politics end up driving everything in the end. No model could have predicted that medicine would end up basically cooperating with the virus, in some weird twisted way.

It's like military plans, they're built with the knowledge that every assumption will be wrong and how to react to what couldn't get predicted. Modern warfare is very different from the old type, with lots of leeway for decisions on the ground. Except here it's without actually doing that, and insisting that the plan must proceed as intended. And not even following the original plan anyway. And really just winging everything the whole time.