From Long COVID to ME/CFS -The Contribution of Clinical Psychology to Diagnosis and Treatment, 2023, Gole (German)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychologie in Österreich 4 & 5 | 2023

https://www.researchgate.net/public...o_Diagnosis_and_Treatment#fullTextFileContent

Abstract

Long COVID (LC), das Post-COVID-Syndrom (PCS) und die myalgische Enzephalomyelitis bzw. das Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrom (ME/CFS) sind post-virale Zustandsbilder.

Als Kardinalsymptome für ME/CFS stehen eine profunde Erschöpfung und eine Post Exertional Malaise (PEM).

Zwischen PCS und ME/CFS bestehen klare Überschneidungen in der Symptomatologie, den zugrundeliegenden pathophysiologischen Prozessen und den kognitiven Einschränkungen.

Die Prävalenzrate von ME/CFS liegt in der Normalbevölkerung zwischen 0,2 % und 0,39 %, nach einer Corona-Infektion bei ca. 2,5 % und bei PatientInnen mit PCS bei mindestens 45 %.

In der Diagnostik von ME/CFS ist ein multidisziplinäres Vorgehen notwendig, bei dem die Klinische Psychologie psychische Erkrankungen als mögliche Ursachen oder Begleitphänomene beleuchtet und spezifische ME/CFS-Symptome durch einschlägige Fragebögen und eine intensive Anamnese erheben kann.

Die Behandlungsstrategie der Wahl bei ME/CFS ist das Pacing, mit dem ein optimaler Einsatz der vorhandenen Energieressourcen gemeint ist, ohne in eine Überforderung und eine PEM zu geraten.

---

[Long COVID, Post-COVID-19 syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) are post-viral diseases.

The major symptoms of ME/CFS are a profound fatigue and post exertional malaise (PEM).

There is a substantial overlap in terms of symptoms, pathophysiological processes, and cognitive deficits between PCS and ME/CFS.

Within the normal population, the prevalence rate ranges between 0.2% and 0.39% and increases to 2.5% after COVID-19 infection.

When PCS patients are considered, at least 45% of these fulfil the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS.

The diagnosis of ME/CFS is a multidisciplinary challenge, where clinical psychologists assess mental disorders either as a possible explanation of the symptom burden or as a comorbid condition.

In addition, clinical psychologists assess specific ME/CFS symptoms by means of appropriate self-report questionnaires as well as a thorough anamnesis.

The treatment approach of choice for ME/CFS is pacing, i. e., self-managing one’s own activity and rest so that PEM is avoided.]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

„As noted by psychologist professor Kunst, the following ‚can’t be stressed enough: The reason why we lack treatments for #LongCovid is that patients of similar post-viral conditions have been gaslit and disbelieved for decades (i. e., #MECFS). The long-term effects of viruses are nothing new – it’s just that nobody seemed to care‘“ (zitiert nach Vink & Vink-Niese, 2022, S. 14) [94].

Philipp, Joan Crawford, Sean and 13 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly!

4. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Besides the reference to the Daniels paper, this seems to be quite helpful. There were some other things but overall not bad at all. Great to see more papers on psychological support and pacing.