Functional Cognitive Disorders (FCD): How Is Metacognition Involved?, 2021, Larner

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Aug 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Functional cognitive disorders (FCD) have become a subject of increasing clinical interest in recent years, in part because of their high prevalence amongst patients attending dedicated memory clinics. Empirical understanding of FCD based on observational studies is growing, suggesting a relationship to other functional neurological disorders (FND) based on shared phenomenology. However, understanding of FCD at the theoretical level has been lacking. One suggestion has been that FCD are disorders of metacognition, most usually of metamemory.

In this article, a brief overview of these constructs is presented along with existing evidence for their impairment in FCD. Previous adaptations of theoretical models of FND to accommodate FCD are reviewed. A novel application to FCD of Nelson and Narens’ monitoring and control model of metamemory is then attempted, positing an improper setting of the monitoring function, with examples of ecological relevance. Formulation of FCD in light of a metacognitive model of anosognosia is also considered. Although lacking mechanistic and neuroanatomical sophistication, this metacognitive formulation of FCD may give pointers for future hypothesis-driven research and a pragmatic basis for management strategies.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3425/11/8/1082/htm

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if they are aware of brain fog. No mention in the article. Probably not.

The weird thing about making stuff up in your head and ignoring reality is that reality is actually more important. Here we are decades into and millions of reports of this medical issue and it still doesn't have a formal name, and people are still making stuff up about it without even being aware of how it relates to real life. It's not as if there is a current explosion of this phenomenon happening which they are utterly oblivious to.

Although I see we have reached the stage where "meta" is a new medical fad, I'm seeing more of it lately. I guess neuroplasticity is getting a bit overused, or something. It's sad that no one keeps track of the various fads and fashionable explanations, because like everything dealing with chronic health problems, it's all projection. They have their fads and fits and project it onto us.

Doesn't speak well of the skeptics industry they that all seem to like every new fad that comes around, as long as it's too vague to be defined in any coherent way.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Difficult to understand something that probably doesn't exist.
    Another suggestion is that this, and the broader FND project, is a figment of your imaginations.
    Is that an admission of the previous two points I made?

These people are diagnosing the lurid fantasies in their own heads, not what is happening to patients in the real world.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    alktipping, MEMarge, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Translated as all similarly misdiagnosed.

Memory has one of the closest relationships with physical brain damage when you consider how prevalent amnesia is in brain trauma.

Memory is a complex brain function which they have never pinned down so to decide it is psychological in the absence of psychological problems is simplistic to say the least.

I have no idea what they mean by metacognition.

Sean, alktipping, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not read this article beyond the abstract, but going back over forty years to my undergraduate days, it would have then meant thoughts about thinking or an individual’s understanding about their own cognitive processes.

Which would presumably make such hypothetical issues a prime candidate for CBT or similar.