Functional neurological disorder: Engaging patients in treatment, 2021, O'Neal, Dworetzky and Baslet

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Patients with a functional neurological disorder can be difficult to engage in treatment. The reasons for this are complex and may be related to physician, patient and health care system issues. Providers contribute to difficulties in treatment engagement by giving confusing explanations for the patient symptoms, stigmatizing patients, and not allowing patients time to voice their questions and concerns. Patient factors include a lack of engagement after an explanation of the diagnosis, resistance to treatment, family/work dynamics and prior negative experiences with the health care system. The scarcity of providers skilled in the treatment of functional neurological disorder is yet another hurdle. This article will define these barriers and discuss good clinical practices to help improve outcomes by tackling those challenges and discuss why for many patients an integrated care team approach is needed.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589986421000733

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's because patients quickly realise that functional disorders are considered to be mental health problems and no treatment will be forthcoming (apart from anti-depressants or CBT).

3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I momentarily read 'functional' as 'fictional'. Perhaps accurate?!

Lilas, Solstice, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They'll keep pretending to ask and they'll continue to pretend the patients aren't clear that the problem with this is that it's quackery and that they have no idea what they're talking about. It could go on and on for decades. It already has and nothing has changed in a full century.
    That's literally them. They are describing themselves here and they are completely unaware of this. And they actually dare put blame on patients for things like not being self-aware enough, or being confused. Literally, they are blaming patients for being confused about the thoughts in their own heads. Ideas that are built entirely out of confusion. And the one thing they can't possibly think about is that it's wrong. Amazing. I'm pretty sure even medieval alchemists were not that irrational.

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The scarcity of providers skilled in the treatment of functional neurological disorder is yet another hurdle." i think any used car salesman could quickly get up to speed in order to talk rings around the patient and fob them of with no beneficial treatment . the patient will be so nonplussed that they will even thank said used car salesman on their way out . therefore making this approach seem successful .

chrisb, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd go one step further and say that the number of providers skilled in the treatment of FND is 0 and will remain at 0 no matter what is done, unless we completely redefine the definition of skills in a way that would recognize that astrologers are skilled at... something. No amount of training can make up for the fact that this is a delusional fantasy.

MeSci, Woolie, Art Vandelay and 4 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We are all going to get diagnosed with this if it isn't stopped.

'Yes, Mr S, we accept that you do have ME/MS/cancer, whatever. But you also have FND* as well.'

(*Or whatever label they are using this month.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    alktipping, Lilas, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Already happening here.

9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Do they realise what they are admitting? "We literally don't know what the *%$# is wrong with about a third of the patients that come to us. Haven't got a damned clue. We just can't work it out, so we end up having to give them a placebo diagnosis".

A placebo diagnosis, I just made it up but I kind of like the term. No active ingredient, but something that appears similar.

alktipping, Lilas, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Arguably their whole act, from diagnosis to therapy to outcome assessment, is the misguided attempt to manipulate the placebo effect and turn a destructive nocebo response into constructive placebo response, and thus neutralise our supposedly irrational fears and somato-sensory misperceptions and somatising.

It is placebo all the way down with the BPS crowd.

Woolie, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.