Functional Neurological Disorders in Children – A Historical Perspective, 2022, Freedman

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The modern diagnosis of functional neurological disorders (FND) describes a diverse set of neurological symptoms without identifiable pathology. The history of FND and its prescientific predecessor, hysteria, is complex and deeply rooted in sexism. Key moments in this history have contributed to the advancement of understanding in functional disorders that neurologists should be aware of. Although pediatric FND has a much less extensive historical literature, there are many parallels between it and the initial interest in hysteria by Charcot and other early modern neurologists. This was followed by waning neurological attention as psychiatrists promoted conversion disorder in the early 1900s. Towards the end of the 20th century, neurologists have taken a renewed, collaborative role with psychiatry and other disciplines to diagnose and study FND.

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1071909121000784

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I used the Recent Posts option to view the forum just now I realised that five of the first nine entries were about FND. I find this extraordinarily depressing.

Lilas, Mithriel, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I believe they are all from an edition of the journal focusing on FND, all published in the last day or so, which is why.

Lilas, Mithriel, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't blaming you for posting it. I know that you usually post stuff that has been very recently published. I just find it depressing that there is just so much about FND being published. :(

Lilas, Mithriel, Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's boom time in the industry, they're selling the hottest (fashionable) cakes.

Mithriel, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Freedman, the author of this piece, is a prolific FND proponent on Twitter. I don’t recall ever seeing him wade into debates surrounding ME, but if he’s on this train, I wouldn’t be shocked if his views were discordant from many here.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The modern diagnosis of functional neurological disorders (FND) describes a diverse set of neurological symptoms without identifiable pathology.

So why the flood of recent papers from the FND mob claiming to identify underlying physiological pathology, or at least biomarkers?

*crickets*

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Somehow, I imagine, psychopathology is not the same as physiopathology? Or some derp like that.

Totally not dualists, though. You can't separate the mind from the body, unless, you know, as it's convenient.

Mithriel, Sean, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.