Functional Somatic Symptoms, 2019, Roenneburg et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.aerzteblatt.de/int/archive/article?id=209399

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The patient is given CBT and when that does not work the medical system washes their hands of them because they do not want to get better and there is nothing more medicine can do for them; the patient knows what to do and it is up to them to do the work.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Nah, you didn't.

Written like an ad for washing powder.

And just as meaningless.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What on earth is that supposed to mean?
    It seems to imply that therapy (active) is more effective than drugs (passive). Tell that to the authors when they get cancer.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A diagram from the article.

img140300311.gif

Very similar to the model in PACE which didn't produce any meaningful effects.

Just because someone can fantasize that it is so does not mean it actually is, but maybe that's a difficult concept to understand for the psychosomatic medicine crowd.

I'm also curious how well this model would fit an average patient with a disease considered to be entirely "organic". I think that average patient would have "secondary gains" from the illness if one wanted to find them, they would probably have lost some fitness, they might have sequelae of prior treatments, they could easily have "avoidant" behaviour of some kind, they certainly have precedent life stressors, they may well have prior organic disease, they are probably worried and anxious, they might be depressed or have particular cultural beliefs or an unpleasant childhood. And of course, they would have "fixed disease conviction" and the perception that something is wrong.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I read about the health service creaking under the strain of an increasing number of patients, I wonder how much of that is due to people rarely being cured of anything. So as time goes by and the patients get older the number of physical problems they have just increases and increases. They get put on more and more medication, which have interactions and side effects for which they are given more pills. It's no surprise that people are getting sicker and sicker and the health service gets more and more expensive. (Although I wonder how many of the complaints about cost are for political purposes, not the real truth.)

Peter Trewhitt, shak8, Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's creaking under the strain of being underfunded and understaffed.

Peter Trewhitt, shak8, Sean and 2 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I agree - but I also think chronic under-diagnosis is making a huge problem even worse.

9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never mind. The music therapy will sort it. Sounds like they have already made a start with the "organ-focused treatments".

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole thing could be replaced by a link to goop.com. Exactly equivalent. Anyone who actually thinks there is such a thing as "secondary benefits" of illness, real or fake makes no difference, is out of their damn mind. Incredible display of false attribution error. Not exactly surprising considering there is no feedback system and medicine is entirely supply-side, does not consider demand or need.

This stuff is to medicine what astrology is to astronomy. I don't think there's ever been a more blatant example of an entire field of science regressing so badly.
    Safe for physicians, it does not affect them. Efficient for budgets, as doing nothing useful can be cheap. For patients? It does not. It's a complete and total disaster. We are proof of it, a disease strictly treated under a psychosocial model with catastrophically bad results, zero progress in 3 decades and independently and self-consistent complaints about the failure that are simply ignored because this is a strict one-way approach that dismisses everything the patient and instead fabricates a bullshit "rousingly reassuring" explanation that has the same relation to reality as Game of Thrones.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Peter Trewhitt, shak8, Sean and 3 others like this.