General Anesthetic and Severe M.E

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by Jessie 107, Sep 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jessie 107

Jessie 107 Established Member

I have severe M.E, I am bedbound.
    I have to go to hospital for a procedure which is going to require a general anaesthetic. The procedure should only take 5 / 10 minutes.
    My question is, has anyone who is severe had a G . Anesthetic?
    How has is affected your M.E ?
    What should I tell the Anesthesiologist about my illness?
    I have mild Pots.
    No horror stories please.

Yvonne, DokaGirl, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to have a general anaesthetic in my 30s. At that point, I too was bedbound, and, looking back, had POTS. I looked to the MEA literature for advice and passed it on to the anaesthetist (and I was fine!).

I would expect the advice to have been updated by now. I'd get in touch with the MEA.

Good luck! :)

Yvonne, Ariel, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leaflet available online, cost £1 - https://meassociation.org.uk/product/anaesthetics-your-questions-answered/

Not personal experience but you might want to focus on Pre Anaesthesia drugs where there may be more latitude in choice/avoidance/inclusion than on the actual GA being used https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summaries/pre-medication-and-peri-operative-drugs/

Yvonne, Ariel, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, DokaGirl, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  6. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last week I had midazolam and fentanyl for a procedure. It was not a general anaesthetic but conscious sedation and local anaesthetic. I had no problems with at all. I was weak and tired the next couple of days, but that would have been expected even without the drugs and I was completely back to normal by the third day. I am very sensitive to most drugs, even at low doses, so was surprised not to have any adverse effects.

Hutan, Ariel, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  7. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had two anaesthetics last year, and I don't think that they caused any side effects. The problems in hospital are noise ,bright lights and excess activity so you need to plan for those. I wore my eye mask and earplugs while being anaesthetised and the eye mask had been replaced when I got back to recovery.

If you suffer from migraine and have to fast, the anaesthetist would consider putting up an IV line if fasting triggers a migraine.

Yvonne, Hutan, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  8. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have severe ME (I'm not always bedridden), but I have had many surgeries over the years, and I do feel that with each successive surgery, my overall fatigue gets worse and/or the surgery takes longer to recover from, especially if I have general. My last surgery (shoulder replacement in March 2022) required general, and it's hard to say whether the anesthesia alone is why my overall health is worse now, as I also took an exhausting trip in June that may have contributed more to my worsened ME. I always ask before a surgery if non-general is an option (nerve blocks, while harder for recovery pain, are easier on my fatigue; spinal blocks; etc. with mild sedation are my preference), and if general is required, I talk to the anesthesiologist before the surgery and ask for the lowest possible amount of anesthetizing medication.

Not sure if this is helpful.

Yvonne, alktipping, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope your surgery went well @Jessie 107

I have POTS.

I make sure to tell the surgeon and anesthesiologist that I may have tachycardia during surgery, even though I am anesthetized. I sometimes have tachycardia when supine.

Yvonne, Hutan, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hadn't seen this thread before @Jessie 107 but, in case you need it again or someone else needs it, I had a GA accompanied by a saline drip on the advice of my immunologist and all was fine. In fact I felt better than I had prior.
    I hope your procedure went well.