Going long: Viruses linger with lasting impact

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By Diane Mapes, Fred Hutch Cancer center

very long piece

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/c...th-lasting-impact-hpv-hsv-hiv-long-covid.html

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But three years after COVID-19 rocked the world, are we now learning viruses are more of a threat than we imagined? Do they all “go long”?

How many people have the good grace to acknowledge much has been known about long term impacts of viruses, but much of the science and medical community declined to take these effects serious, particularly in relation to ME? How many people will acknowledge the ME/CFS community desperately tried to warn of the potential impact of what is now called Long Covid, with in the region of 50% of Long Covid suffers being now found to meet the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS? How many will acknowledge the lost research opportunities if research had been begun at the start of the pandemic to try to identify who subsequently developed Long Covid based on cohorts first assessed pre infection with Covid-19 as suggested by many in the ME community?

It is not that this was unexpected to anyone with knowledge of ME/CFS, particularly given other SARS viruses seemed to elicited comparatively higher levels of ME/CFS in relation to many other viruses.

That an individual or indeed many individuals is/are surprised by something does not mean it is inherently surprising.

bobbler, ahimsa, MeSci and 16 others like this.