Hampshire Hypnotherapy and Counselling Centre (private clinic)

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Came across their website
    there is also a youtube video link
    entitled "ME and PVF cured using Hypnosis".

(I haven't watched it. trading standards?)

https://www.besthypnotherapyandcounselling.co.uk/me-hypnotherapy

RedFox, Hutan, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's very badly written and clueless.

EzzieD, Hutan, hibiscuswahine and 7 others like this.
  3. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like a marketing person's legal trick to me:

"Hypnosis and hypnotherapy at the Hampshire Hypnotherapy Centre is extremely effective in helping to treat both the emotional and physical difficulties of M.E. and Post Viral Fatigue." [ -> Not "to treat", only helping. If I give you a glass of water to swallow your pills I am helping your treatment, too.]

"Hypnosis and hypnotherapy can help the person suffering with the condition to deal with the physical and emotional symptoms of their condition." [ -> So, possibly helping with coping? Like resting on a couch, listening to relaxing music and nice affirmative words could help, too?]

RedFox, EzzieD, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not much different from the official BPS stuff, really. Especially the boasting about effectiveness out of nothing. About as much as the difference between the East reformist church of Noodlism and the West reformist church of Noodlism.

RedFox, EzzieD, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seemed to start out OK then gave way to startling misconceptions such as "may be triggered by an emotional upset" and 'tells' like "ME and PVF cured by hypnotherapy".

Seems to my mind to be another example of the "new sympathy" among predatory therapists and some medics. Which amounts to listening to others and then adopting the patients' statements verbatim as a disguise, like a wolf in sheeps' clothing / Angelheart / Hellraiser, to disguise the predator and make them look like something they are not, i.e. they are not genuinely concerned for the patient's welfare and are trying to bamboozle vulnerable patients, who are desperate for a cure and possibly even rendered hypersuggestible by the affects of ME on the nervous system, into denial of their own reality to facilitate payments to the therapist.

Reminds me of LP.

EzzieD, Lou B Lou, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ASA I think would be the first call
    https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

https://www.asa.org.uk/type/non_broadcast/code_section/03.html https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Looks like the basis for a complaint would be easily met - though personally I don't currently have enthusiasm for doing it.

RedFox, Hutan, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think this is especially new. There have always been snake oil peddlers, shamans and faith healers of all kinds. They always worked this way. It's all about manipulation and even the BPSers haven't taken it to the level of science, it's still a clumsy art that only works because they have unchecked authority over us.

What's different is that it has been formally adopted as a standard across healthcare. That's not quite new either, this is more of fine-tuning a failed formula when the failure isn't accepted because too many people are enjoying the spoils of zero-effort work that pays very well.

The dark period of "cancer personalities" was just as awful and toxic. It's just that there's never any accountability in medicine. Only compliance.

EzzieD, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member