Has anyone had granulomatous appendicitis?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by InitialConditions, Nov 7, 2019.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I had acute appendicitis in 2015, the results came back that it was a rare case of granulomatous appendicitis - with a prevalence of order 1% of all appendicitis cases.

"Granulomatous appendicitis (GA) is a rare form of appendicitis described to occur due to varieties of causes such as a foreign body, fungi, parasites, mycobacteria, Yersinia and Crohn's pathology. Often a specific cause is indiscernible and this is designated as "idiopathic GA". Few case series in adult population have reported the incidence of GA between 0.14% and 2% of appendectomies."

http://www.afrjpaedsurg.org/article...olume=11;issue=1;spage=26;epage=31;aulast=Pal

I've always wondered if I should have gone back to the consultant and asked if it may have had relevance to my other symptoms (including IBS). Back in 2015 I felt reasonably well and this was before my ME diagnosis.

There is a history of inflammatory bowel disease on both sides of my family. My mum has Ulcerative Colitis and my Dad's mum had Crohn's, but I certainly don't have severe bowel issues - more just mild IBS.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    AliceLily, Hutan, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.