Opinion Health Controversies: Long-Term Disagreement Management Challenges, 2024, Jackson

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jun 24, 2024 at 2:50 PM.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Based on the footnotes and references, this is an in-depth paper on ME/CFS]

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10810730.2024.2369810

Research Article
    Health Controversies: Long-Term Disagreement Management Challenges
    Sally Jackson
    Published online: 23 Jun 2024
    Health controversies involve complex exchanges of disagreements over health and medicine.

They unfold differently in different parts of the world, and they often extend over long periods of time.

In contemporary argumentation theory, proposals have recently been emerging for “disagreement management at large scale” and for an explicit focus on design of disagreement management methods.

Lewiński and Aakhus characterize large-scale disagreement as polylogic: formed of complex networks of players holding contrasting positions that are attacked and defended in multiple places.

Large-scale disagreements such as health controversies are important sites for emergence of new disagreement management methods, including new ways of arriving at conclusions about questions of fact (affecting positions) and new formats for coming to decisions about questions of policy (affecting places).

The controversy over myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), spanning a period of very rapid change in reasoning about health, has been deeply entangled with the design of new institutional places for managing disagreements about health.

It serves well to illustrate both the large, multi-scale structure of health controversies and the importance of long-term disagreement management strategies.

2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)