Her Face Droops Without Explanation. Can You Tell Us Why?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Alvin, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/magazine/netflix-diagnosis-series-ann.html

2. Alvin

I submitted some thoughts, has she been checked for seizures during the episodes and so forth.
    Any other ideas?

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Myasthenia Gravis maybe

Little Bluestem and Alvin like this.
  4. Alvin

Apparently that was ruled out

Little Bluestem likes this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[My bold]
    It is my understanding that many doctors in the UK would disagree with the idea that a functional disorder is not psychiatric. Many of them blame the patient's mental health and tell them they are probably stressed and they should lose some weight, do some exercise, and get plenty of sleep... Then they would prescribe anti-depressants and send the patient away hoping that they won't have to see them again.

6. Alvin

I would not be surprised if this has been tried already

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oops concentration not too good today

8. Alvin

No worries :hug:

Little Bluestem and NelliePledge like this.
  9. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It says she has a history of Lyme. That means a tick bite. I'd check for all TBDs that may be possible where she lives or traveled to that can progress to neurological symptoms. That list would include bacteria and viruses and parasites.

I am unclear what tests they even ran to determine she no longer had Lyme. I can see the antibody ratio in one of her CSF results but not certain that relates to Bb.

Regardless, if they have good evidence she once had Lyme, they by extension know she was bitten by at least one tick and hence all TBDs that can impact cranial nerves should be on the table.

Edited To Add: I see the WB reference, but find the "Imaging: No results found" claim a little disconcerting, ie, you'd think some immunological artifact would appear, say band 41. Again, I suppose it depends on how confident the earlier Lyme diagnosis was.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Little Bluestem and Amw66 like this.
  10. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to be an issue with the nerves regardless - possibly further away from spine and a local issue? Even the response to Nortrip, a particular effective medication in conditions affecting the nerves suggests this.